J3N Provides the Latest and Most Up-to-Date News, You Can Stay Informed and Connected to the World.
⎯ 《 Just 3 N : New News Now 》
The Most Terrifying Haunted Attraction in All 50 States
The Most Terrifying Haunted Attraction in All 50 States
From Knotts Scary Farm to Eastern State Penitentiary, these haunted attractions are worth a visit this Halloween season.
2023-10-18 12:18
Texans pass amendment that aims to enhance electric grid reliability
Texans pass amendment that aims to enhance electric grid reliability
By Nicole Jao NEW YORK Texas voters passed a constitutional amendment to create a $10 billion energy fund
2023-11-09 05:54
Wildfires on Greek island of Rhodes force thousands of holidaymakers to evacuate
Wildfires on Greek island of Rhodes force thousands of holidaymakers to evacuate
Thousands of holidaymakers have been forced to evacuate their hotels on the Greek island of Rhodes, as wildfires raged for a fifth day. Coastguard vessels and more than 30 private boats evacuated at least 2,000 people from beaches close to the areas of Kiotari and Lardos in the southeastern part of the island, coastguard spokesman Nikos Alexiou said. Long queues of tourists were videoed walking with their luggage along a road as part of an evacuation operation, while smoke could be seen in the background. Those evacuated are being housed at an indoor stadium and at hotels on the island, said Konstantinos Taraslias, a deputy mayor of Rhodes. Three passenger ferries were also committed to host tourists during the night, the coastguard said. The wildfire had been confined to the island’s mountainous centre, but aided by winds, high temperatures and dry conditions, it began to spread more widely on Saturday. Local media reported the fires had reached three hotels, which had already been evacuated. Tourists told how they had been forced to walk for hours in the searing heat to try and escape the smoke. Fire Service spokesperson Yannis Artopios said on Saturday afternoon that residents of four localities were sent SMS messages to evacuate – in two places they were told to move to the northeast and in two others to the southwest. Tourists posted videos of their evacuations on social media, as they described the scenes and the experiences of their families. “Currently stranded in Rhodes escaping the wildfires on foot – left everything at the hotel and fled with towels across our faces”, said Paul Kalburgi on Twitter. “My youngest just told me he doesn’t want to die. Terrifying situation here.” Another Twitter user, John Hughes, said he “had to walk four miles in the heat across dirt tracks in smoke and ash with a five year old. No possessions”. Nikita Bassi tweeted: “Arrived in Rhodes this morning to be told that wild fires have spread throughout and our hotel has been evacuated. No hotels anywhere for us to go and now looking for a flight home as news says the fires are getting worse around Greece. “600/700 people from the evacuated hotels are coming to this one hotel and are having to sleep in the lobby and outside on the sun beds. This is honestly crazy. I can’t believe this is happening”. Becky Mulligan, a British tourist on Rhodes, told the BBC that she was evacuated from her hotel with her sister and daughter, but was now stuck on a beach alongside hundreds of others. “There’s just a small shack here and there’s so many of us,” seh said. “There’s children, it’s the middle of the day, we are just stuck here with no help, it’s disgusting.” Another tourist, Simon Wheatley told the broadcaster that his hotel had initially said the situations was “normal and there was no need to worry”. His hotel was subsequently evacuated. “We saw that a beach bar that we were at just the day before had burnt down. The smoke was so bad. We had to leave two bags of luggage”, he said. Another holidaymaker, James Hall, told Sky News: “It was quite a bit of madness this morning. We noticed smoke and ash coming down and we got the government text, pretty much telling us to evacuate. “And we walked south, as far as we could… We dragged our suitcases for two hours in the 40-degree heat.” He said that he was worried he would miss his plane home, adding: “Honestly it was bizarre, if you are in a wheelchair or on crutches, the chances of you getting out in a timely manner was almost nil. “We got instruction to go to the beach but we decided to keep walking. The sheer volume of smoke I don’t imagine it’s particularly safe right now.” Jet2, a budget airline that flies multiple daily flights from the UK to Rhodes during the summer, told The Independent that it was working to support tourists on the ground. “We are aware of the fast-moving situation in Rhodes, and our in-resort teams are working to comply with the guidance of local authorities”, a spokesperson said. “The health, safety and well-being of our customers will always be our number one priority and we ask any customers in affected areas to follow the advice of the local authorities, or their hoteliers who will be acting under the advice of the authorities.” A spokesperson for travel company Tui, which organises package holidays to Rhodes, told The Independent that they are “aware of wildfires in the south of Rhodes and are monitoring the situation closely. “A number of hotels have been impacted and our resort teams are working with the local authorities and following their advice to relocate impacted customers”, added the spokesperson “Our main priority is always the safety of our customers and we will proactively be in touch with anyone due to travel who’s holiday is affected”. Fire Service spokesperson Yannis Artopios added that more than 200 firefighters and 40 fire engines were operating on the ground, assisted by three planes and five helicopters. The force includes 31 firefighters from Slovakia, with five fire engines. “The situation in Rhodes is serious and extremely difficult. Due to the strong wind and quickly changing direction of the fire, firefighters had to withdraw and move,” Slovak Fire and Rescue Services said on Facebook. The main front of the fire is a triangle, with two of its points near the sea and one in the mountains. On maps, each side of the triangle appears more than six miles long. Three coast guard vessels, plus one from the army, were evacuating people from two beaches. Twenty private boats were also assisting, and the Greek navy was sending a vessel. The blaze in Rhodes is the most fearsome of several blazes ongoing around Greece. The fire northwest of Athens and one near Sparta were subsiding, said Mr Artopios, although weather conditions, including temperatures set to reach 45C on Sunday and low humidity, mean there is a risk more wildfires might break out. The Fire Service has designated almost the whole eastern part of the mainland, plus the islands of Evia and Rhodes, as well as large swathes of the southwest, as category five, the highest for the risk of fire outbreaks on Sunday. There will be a brief respite in the heatwave on Monday, but it will resume on Tuesday and could last until at least Friday, meteorologists have said. Firefighting forces from eight EU countries are either operating or due to arrive soon, Mr Artopios said. Israel, Jordan and Turkey have also sent reinforcements, mostly aerial equipment. Read More Best UK hotels 2022 Best luxury hotels in Scotland for 2022 Family-friendly hotels in the UK for style, location and value Helicopters battle wildfires fuelled by strong winds in Turkey Watch as wildfires continue to rage in Greece during Europe’s heatwave European heatwave - latest updates as record temperatures continue
2023-07-23 05:22
Typhoon Saola makes landfall in southern China after nearly 900,000 people moved to safety
Typhoon Saola makes landfall in southern China after nearly 900,000 people moved to safety
Typhoon Saola has made landfall in southern China after nearly 900,000 people moved to safety and most of Hong Kong and other parts of coastal southern China suspended business, transport and classes
2023-09-02 10:53
Yellen Says US-China Rivalry Not a ‘Winner-Take-All’ Situation
Yellen Says US-China Rivalry Not a ‘Winner-Take-All’ Situation
US Treasury Secretary Janet Yellen said competition between the world’s biggest economies is not a “winner-take-all” situation, and
2023-07-07 16:56
China Faces Early Attack From Crop Pests After Extreme Weather
China Faces Early Attack From Crop Pests After Extreme Weather
China’s farmers are facing an earlier than expected assault on their crops this year as extreme weather accelerates
2023-08-12 08:25
An Illinois man fired his gun after dreaming a burglar was in his home, police say. He ended up shooting himself in real life
An Illinois man fired his gun after dreaming a burglar was in his home, police say. He ended up shooting himself in real life
An Illinois man thought his home was being burglarized, grabbed his handgun and opened fire. But the Lake County Sheriff's Office says it all was a dream and the 62-year-old woke up to find while his home was fine, he'd shot himself in the leg.
2023-06-18 22:29
Maine Mass Shooting: Suspect Robert Card treated at mental health facility for reportedly hearing voices
Maine Mass Shooting: Suspect Robert Card treated at mental health facility for reportedly hearing voices
Robert Card, 40, has been identified by the police as a person of interest in relation to the shootings at Sparetime Recreation and Schemengees Bar
2023-10-26 12:52
Who is Farrah Aldjufrie? Daughter of Kyle Richards addressed 'RHOBH' star and Mauricio Umansky's split months before speculations
Who is Farrah Aldjufrie? Daughter of Kyle Richards addressed 'RHOBH' star and Mauricio Umansky's split months before speculations
The viewers of 'Real Housewives of Beverly Hills' met Farrah Aldjufrie for the first time during season 1 alongside her mother Kylie Richards and stepfather Mauricio Umansky
2023-07-05 13:20
How did Russell Crowe honor Sinead O’Connor’s legacy? ‘A Beautiful Mind’ star says he was starstruck by the singer during chance encounter
How did Russell Crowe honor Sinead O’Connor’s legacy? ‘A Beautiful Mind’ star says he was starstruck by the singer during chance encounter
Russell Crowe shared a series of tweets in which he recalled a rare and profound conversation with Sinead O’Connor in Ireland last year
2023-07-28 01:59
Trump Georgia indictment televised after judges ruling
Trump Georgia indictment televised after judges ruling
Part of Donald Trump’s indictment in Georgia was televised after a judge decided in the media’s favour. The Fulton County superior court judge presiding over the grand jury in the case, Robert McBurney, told reporters that “if a grand jury presents an indictment, that’s usually in the afternoon, and you can film and photograph that,” The Messenger reported. Fulton County District Attorney Fani Willis presented her case to the jury on Monday, which voted to indict Mr Trump for his alleged attempts to overturn the 2020 election results in the state. There are 13 felony charges against Trump, including RICO, conspiracy to commit forgery, filing false documents, Solicitation of Violation of Oath by Public Officer and more. In addition, 18 Trump associates have also been indicted, including former White House chief of staff mark Meadows and former New York City mayor Rudy Giuliani. When Mr Trump was indicted on the federal level, cameras weren’t allowed in court. Ms Willis has been investigating Mr Trump’s attempts to overturn the 2020 election results in the state and was expected to seek an indictment from a grand jury this week. It would be Mr Trump’s fourth indictment within the span of five months. There was plenty of confusion regarding possible charges against Mr Trump in the Georgia election interference case. Reuters reported on Monday that a document outlining the charges against Mr Trump had been posted and then removed from the Fulton County website. Mr Trump then used the document to ask for donations from his supporters, arguing that he was being denied due process. The Office of the Fulton County Clerk of Superior and Magistrate Courts then issued a statement on Monday afternoon saying that a “fictitious” document had been shared online. “While there have been no documents filed today regarding such, all members of the media should be reminded that documents that do not bear an official case number, filing date, and the name of The Clerk of Courts, in concert, are not considered official filings and should not be treated as such,” the court said. They added that “Media members can expect to be notified of any/all filings in real-time and will be provided access to filings via equitable communication”. Read More Trump’s Georgia case hit by chaos as court accused of posting and deleting charge sheet - latest How prosecutors could charge Trump with racketeering in Georgia case Can Donald Trump pardon himself?
2023-08-15 11:20
Fans shower love as 'Today' host Hoda Kotb wishes BFF's daughter Catherine Grace in heartwarming birthday post
Fans shower love as 'Today' host Hoda Kotb wishes BFF's daughter Catherine Grace in heartwarming birthday post
Hoda Kotb and Karen Swensen have been best friend's for decades now
2023-06-11 10:18