Guard of honour for best friends killed in crash
The funerals of Dlava Mohamed, 16, and Kiea McCann, 17, are due to take place on Thursday.
2023-08-03 03:56
UK's Sunak vows emergency law after top court rules Rwanda migrant scheme unlawful
By Michael Holden and Sam Tobin LONDON Prime Minister Rishi Sunak said he would pass an emergency law
2023-11-16 01:56
South Korea uses AI to measure North Korean leader's weight, lawmaker says
By Soo-hyang Choi SEOUL North Korean leader Kim Jong Un is believed to weigh over 140 kg (308
2023-05-31 20:48
What to expect from a Ron DeSantis presidential campaign
Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis is expected to make his presidential campaign official next week. Here's what CNN's Steve Contorno, who is based in Florida and covers DeSantis, has to say about what to expect from his campaign and what kind of candidate he could turn out to be.
2023-05-20 20:25
Russia's Wagner mercenaries launch joint training with Belarusian military near Poland's border
Mercenaries from Russia’s military company Wagner have launched joint drills with the Belarusian military almost a month after their short-lived rebellion
2023-07-20 22:29
Angry onlookers shout ‘dog killer’ at George Santos as he arrives at court for fraud hearing in New York
Angry protesters called congressman George Santos a “dog killer” on Friday as the Republican made an appearance at a Long Island federal court house, his first hearing since pleading not guilty last month to a13-count indictment related to fraud and money laundering charges. The chants were in reference to an alleged scandal in which the representative allegedly made off with more than $3,000 raised in a fundraiser to save a disabled US Navy veteran’s service dog, one of the many alleged acts of deception Mr Santos made as he worked towards his spot in Congress. The first-term congressman has denied knowing about veteran Richard Osthoff or his dog, calling the allegations “fake.” As Mr Santos exited court, Mr Osthoff, who was in the crowd, yelled, “You killed Sapphire, George. You killed my dog.” Others in the crowd reportedly chanted, “Resign” and “Shame” as the Republican passed by. Mr Santos was in court for a status conference on the federal case against him, where he faces 13 different charges, including fraud, money laundering, and theft of public funds. Prosecutors charge the New York rep mislead supporters and donors into giving him money, which he allegedly used for personal expenses that funded a lavish lifestyle. They also claim he misleadingly obtained unemployment benefits and lied about his personal finances when campaigning for the House of Representatives. Mr Santos has admitted to lying about certain aspects of his background, and is accused of fabricating everything from his education background to his religion to his career success. In court, Mr Santos did not speak, but his lawyers claim he and the government have exhibited a “wonderful working relationship” so far. The defence also said the prosecution has given them 86,000 pages of evidence to go through. The next court date for Mr Santos is 7 September. Outside of the federal case against him, Rep Santos is also under investigation by the House Ethics Committee. Read More Santos reveals names of two $500,000 bond cosigners ahead of court-ordered release Aide fired by George Santos says he got his job after sending money to Republican's deputy Effort to expel Santos falters as Republicans vote to send measure to Ethics Committee Watch: George Santos returns to court after fraud and money laundering charges AP News Digest 3:05 a.m. Rep. George Santos set to appear federal court on fraud and money laundering charges
2023-07-01 02:25
Trump lawyer says she’s ‘ashamed’ and ‘embarrassed’ over secret papers indictment
Former president Donald Trump’s attorney Alina Habba said on Fox News that she is “ashamed” and “embarrassed” to be a lawyer after the former president was indicted. Ms Habba spoke on Jesse Watters’ show amid news that a federal grand jury indicted Mr Trump on charges related to his allegedly unlawful retention of national defence information. Mr Trump’s attorney said the indictment was a distraction from supposed impropriety on behalf of President Joe Biden, pointing to the fact that House Oversight Committee Chairman James Comer was planning to hold FBI Director Christoper Wray, whom Mr Trump nominated to lead the bureau in 2017, in contempt of Congress for supposedly withholding documents. House Republicans have so far come up short in their accusations against Mr Biden. Mr Comer retracted the contempt vote after the FBI agreed to share documents, The New York Timesreported. House Republicans have so far come up short in their accusations against Mr Biden. “Every single time there is a coordinated dance that is becoming obvious to the American people because they are smart,” Ms Habba said. The Trump attorney added that the indictments of the twice-impeached former president were the equivalent of a “shiny ball” meant to distract the American public. “I'm embarrassed to be a lawyer at this moment,” she said. “Honestly, I am ashamed. I'm ashamed to be a lawyer. I'm ashamed that this is the state of our country.” Ms Habba claimed the indictment showed the United States had a two-tiered system of justice. “And it is so obvious that there's this dual system of justice,” she said. “This is selective prosecution, selective persecution. It is absolute persecution. It is Russia third world stuff, and it should not be happening.” Mr Trump first broadcast the indictment on his Truth Social networking platform on Thursday, one day after The Independent had reported that federal prosecutors planned to ask a grand jury to indict Mr Trump. “I never thought it possible that such a thing could happen to a former President of the United States, who received far more votes than any sitting President in the History of our Country, and is currently leading, by far, all Candidates, both Democrat and Republican, in Polls of the 2024 Presidential Election,” Mr Trump said, denying his guilt and proclaiming he is an “innocent man.” Mr Trump said he has been summoned to appear at a federal courthouse in Miami on Tuesday by 3 pm ET. Read More Trump indictment – latest: Trump faces 100-year jail sentence as he declares ‘I am an innocent man’ Trump unleashes on ‘woke military’ and says America is ‘going to hell’ in bizarre Truth Social rant Can Donald Trump run for president after being indicted? Read Trump’s furious reaction to indictment: ‘This is war’ Ivanka and Jared split over attending Trump 2024 launch – follow live Why was Donald Trump impeached twice during his first term? Four big lies Trump told during his 2024 presidential announcement
2023-06-09 17:15
Fans in disbelief over Gwen Stefani's age as singer 'looks almost identical' to what she did in 1995
'Ask her if she will ever age like the rest of us?' said a fan on social media
2023-06-20 20:57
Exclusive-Texts tie DeSantis closely to Trump insider Lev Parnas in 2018 race
By Aram Roston and Joseph Tanfani BOCA RATON, Florida Ukrainian-American businessman Lev Parnas and his business partner were
2023-05-22 19:52
UK PM Sunak warns against rush to regulate AI before understanding its risks
As authorities around the world scramble to draw up guardrails for artificial intelligence, British Prime Minister Rishi Sunak warns against moving too fast on regulating the rapidly developing technology before it’s fully understood
2023-10-26 20:22
What are cluster bombs and why is it controversial for the US to send them to Ukraine?
The United States is expected to announce it is sending cluster munitions to Ukraine to help its military push back Russian forces entrenched along the front lines. The administration of Joe Biden is set to say that it will send thousands of them as part of a new military aid package worth $800m (£630m). The move will likely trigger outrage from some allies and humanitarian groups that have long opposed the use of cluster bombs. Proponents argue that both Russia and Ukraine have already been using the controversial weapon in Ukraine and that the munitions the US will provide have a reduced dud rate, meaning there will be far fewer unexploded rounds that can result in unintended civilian deaths. Here is a look at what cluster munitions are, where they have been used and why the U.S. plans to provide them to Ukraine now. What is a cluster munition? A cluster munition is a bomb that opens in the air and releases smaller "bomblets" across a wide area. The bomblets are designed to take out tanks and equipment, as well as troops, hitting multiple targets at the same time. The munitions are launched by the same artillery weapons that Western allies have already provided to Ukraine for the war — such as howitzers — and the type of cluster munition that the US is planning to send is based on a common 155 mm shell that is already widely in use across the battlefield. Why are they so controversial? In previous conflicts, cluster munitions have had a high dud rate, which meant that thousands of the smaller unexploded bomblets remained behind and killed and maimed people decades later. The US last used its cluster munitions in battle in Iraq in 2003, and decided not to continue using them as the conflict shifted to more urban environments with more dense civilian populations. On Thursday, Brigadier General Pat Ryder – the Pentagon press secretary – said the US Defense Department has "multiple variants" of the munitions and "the ones that we are considering providing would not include older variants with [unexploding] rates that are higher than 2.35 per cent." A convention banning the use of cluster bombs has been joined by more than 120 countries, which agreed not to use, produce, transfer or stockpile the weapons and to clear them after they've been used. The US, Russia and Ukraine haven't signed on. Why provide them now? For more than a year the US has dipped into its own stocks of traditional 155 howitzer munitions and sent more than two million rounds to Ukraine. Allies across the globe, including the UK, have provided hundreds of thousands more. A 155 mm round can strike targets 15 to 20 miles (24 to 32 kilometres) away, making them a munition of choice for Ukrainian ground troops trying to hit enemy targets from a distance. Ukrainian forces are burning through thousands of the rounds a day battling the Russians. Yehor Cherniev, a member of Ukraine's parliament, told reporters at a German Marshall Fund event in the US this spring that Kyiv would likely need to fire 7,000 to 9,000 of the rounds daily in intensified counteroffensive fighting. Providing that many puts substantial pressure on U.S. and allied stocks. The cluster bomb can destroy more targets with fewer rounds, and since the US hasn't used them in conflict since Iraq, it has large amounts of them in storage it can access quickly, said Ryan Brobst, a research analyst for the Foundation for Defense of Democracies. A March 2023 letter from top House and Senate Republicans to the Biden administration said the US may have as many as three million cluster munitions available for use, and urged the White House to send the munitions to alleviate pressure on American war supplies. "Cluster munitions are more effective than unitary artillery shells because they inflict damage over a wider area," Mr Brobst said. "This is important for Ukraine as they try to clear heavily fortified Russian positions." Tapping into the US stores of cluster munitions could address Ukraine's shell shortage and alleviate pressure on the 155 mm stockpiles in the US and elsewhere, Mr Brobst said. Is using cluster bombs a war crime? Use of cluster bombs itself does not violate international law, but using them against civilians can be a violation. As in any strike, determining a war crime requires looking at whether the target was legitimate and if precautions were taken to avoid civilian casualties. "The part of international law where this starts playing [a role], though, is indiscriminate attacks targeting civilians," Human Rights Watch's associate arms director Mark Hiznay said. "So that's not necessarily related to the weapons, but the way the weapons are used." Where have cluster bombs been used? The bombs have been deployed in many recent conflicts. The US initially considered cluster bombs an integral part of its arsenal during the invasion of Afghanistan that began in 2001, according to Human Rights Watch (HRW). The group estimated that the US-led coalition dropped more than 1,500 cluster bombs in Afghanistan during the first three years of the conflict. The Defense Department had been due to stop use of any cluster munitions with a rate of unexploded ordnance greater than 1 per cent, by 2019. But the Trump administration rolled back that policy, allowing commanders to approve use of such munitions. Syrian government troops have often used cluster munitions — supplied by Russia — against opposition strongholds during that country's civil war, frequently hitting civilian targets and infrastructure. And Israel used them in civilian areas in south Lebanon, including during the 1982 invasion. During the month-long 2006 war with Hezbollah, HRW and the United Nations accused Israel of firing as many as four million cluster munitions into Lebanon. That left unexploded ordnance that threatens Lebanese civilians to this day. The Saudi-led coalition in Yemen has been criticized for its use of cluster bombs in the war with the Iran-backed Houthi rebels that has ravaged the southern Arabian country. In 2017, Yemen was the second deadliest country for cluster munitions after Syria, according to the UN. Children have been killed or maimed long after the munitions originally fell, making it difficult to know the true toll. In the 1980s, the Russians made heavy use of cluster bombs during their 10-year invasion of Afghanistan. As a result of decades of war, the Afghan countryside remains one of the most heavily mined countries in the world. Associated Press Read More The Body in the Woods | An Independent TV Original Documentary The harrowing discovery at centre of The Independent’s new documentary Biden is considering sending controversial cluster munitions to help Ukraine Muslims across Pakistan hold anti-Sweden rallies to denounce burning of Islam's holy book Ukraine claims new gains made against Russia’s troops near Bakhmut - live
2023-07-07 19:21
Arizona energy utilities step up with $134,000 grants for communities hit by coal-fired plant closures
The 2,250-megawatt Navajo Generating Station was the largest coal-fired power plant in the West before it was shut in 2019
2023-12-02 15:50
You Might Like...
Ohio marijuana legalization initiative qualifies for November ballot
New York bill aims to help the wrongfully convicted. Prosecutors say it would aid the guilty, too
'My heart goes out to him': Internet offers comfort as Alan Hamel reveals Suzanne Somers' final moments
'Life isn't promised': Olivia Plath pens emotional tribute to beloved late brother Michah Meggs, 15
Monday night's $785M Powerball jackpot is 9th largest lottery prize. Odds of winning are miserable
Who is Nozima Husainova? Citibank employee fired over antisemitic 'Hitler' remark following Hamas terror attacks
After inconclusive vote, Spain begins talks to avoid new election
Who was Tyler Kinnon Nulisch? Florida man, 30, fatally shot by GF in a drunken stupor after a brawl
