J3N Provides the Latest and Most Up-to-Date News, You Can Stay Informed and Connected to the World.
⎯ 《 Just 3 N : New News Now 》
Battle for Telegraph Triggers Uncertainty for UK Conservatives
Battle for Telegraph Triggers Uncertainty for UK Conservatives
Who owns the Telegraph, one of the UK’s most famous newspapers, is the subject of a bitter fight.
2023-11-25 16:54
Judge gives Enbridge 3 years to close oil pipeline on tribal land in Wisconsin
Judge gives Enbridge 3 years to close oil pipeline on tribal land in Wisconsin
A federal judge has given Enbridge three years to shut down a section of an oil and gas pipeline that crosses reservation land
2023-06-18 04:57
'Perfectionist' Bella Poarch candidly shares experience of working in US Navy
'Perfectionist' Bella Poarch candidly shares experience of working in US Navy
Bella Poarch and her brother enrolled in the US Navy when she was 17
2023-10-12 15:50
Amazon duped millions of consumers into enrolling in Prime, US FTC says
Amazon duped millions of consumers into enrolling in Prime, US FTC says
By David Shepardson WASHINGTON (Reuters) -The U.S. Federal Trade Commission on Wednesday accused Amazon.com of enrolling millions of consumers into
2023-06-22 01:59
Famed restaurant Hamburger Mary’s sues Florida over DeSantis drag ban hurting business
Famed restaurant Hamburger Mary’s sues Florida over DeSantis drag ban hurting business
A famous drag show restaurant has filed a lawsuit against the state of Florida and Governor Ron DeSantis, claiming a bill that prohibits children’s attendance at drag shows has hurt its business and is a violation of the First Amendment. Hamburger Mary’s Orlando, a franchise location of the drag show restaurant chain Hamburger Mary’s, is alleging that the state of Florida, “Seeks to explicitly restrict or chill speech and expression protected by the First Amendment” in a lawsuit filed in the US District Court for the Middle District of Florida on Monday. The lawsuit pertains to SB 1438, nicknamed the Protection of Children, which allows for criminal penalties against a food service establishment for admitting children to “an adult live performance.” The bill, which was signed into law by Mr DeSantis last week, prohibits children from attending adult live performances or the establishment can face fines, have their license suspended or revoked and their liquor license suspended or revoked. Hamburger Mary’s Orlando offers “family friendly” drag performances on Sundays, which they say have been greatly affected by the passage of SB 1438. “This bill has nothing to do with children, and everything to do with the continued oppression of the LGBTQ+ community,” Hamburger Mary’s Orlando wrote in a Facebook post. In the lawsuit, Hamburger Mary’s Orlando said “immediately” after the bill passed, 20 per cent of their bookings were cancelled for the 21 May 2023 show as well as future bookings despite the performances being “family friendly.” Hamburger Mary’s Orlando is alleging in the lawsuit that the bill does not serve a compelling governmental interest and is too vague, thus violating the restaurant’s First Amendment right to freedom of expression. “The law and anticipation of it has had a chilling effect on free speech in Florida,” the lawsuit says. The lawsuit names Mr DeSantis, the state of Florida, as well as Melanie Griffin, the Secretary of the State Department of Business and Professional Regulation for Florida, as defendants. The recent Protection of Children bill defines “adult live performance” as any presentation in front of a live audience where a part of it depicts sexual activity, sexual conduct, nudity, lewd exposure, lewd conduct, prosthetic or imitation genitals and more. Hamburger Mary’s Orlando claims, “There is no lewd activity, sexually explicit shows, disorderly conduct, public exposure, obscene exhibition, or anything inappropriate for a child to see” in their family-friendly brunches. The restaurant claims several undercover agents visited a drag brunch in December and did not witness “any lewd acts” that were inappropriate for children. Hamburger Mary’s Orlando is also alleging that the state of Florida has not provided examples of specific conduct that is harmful to children. “The uncertainty about what specific conduct this law prohibits, as well as the threat of police surveillance and criminal charges, is precisely what concerns the Plaintiff in this case,” the lawsuit says. Instead, Hamburger Mary’s Orlando believes this is another example of conservative leaders trying to restrict LGBT+ inclusivity in communities. “Anytime our legislators want to demonize a group, they say they are coming for your children. In this case, creating a false narrative that drag queens are grooming and recruiting your children with no factual basis or history to back up these accusations AT ALL,” Hamburger Mary’s Orlando wrote on Facebook. “They are setting a precedent that the state legislators [sic] can decide what is best for you based on THEIR own values and convictions, and write it into law,” Hamburger Mary’s Orlando added. The Independent has reached out to Hamburger Mary’s Orlando and Mr DeSantis’ office for comment. Read More Why are drag shows being targeted by the state of Tennessee and other republicans? Tampa Pride event cancelled over Ron DeSantis’ latest anti-LGBT+ laws Pride events cancelled across Florida due to ‘climate of fear’ after DeSantis’s anti-LGBT+ laws A famous restaurant chain has sued Florida over DeSantis’s drag ban Florida school bans poem recited by Amanda Gorman at Biden inauguration AP News Digest 3:10 am
2023-05-24 17:25
US has resumed indirect talks with Iran in effort to constrain nuclear program
US has resumed indirect talks with Iran in effort to constrain nuclear program
The United States has quietly resumed indirect talks with Iran in an effort to constrain Tehran's nuclear program, multiple sources told CNN.
2023-06-16 04:53
Who is Marjorie Perkins? Woman, 87, fights off 'awfully hungry' teen intruder before feeding him
Who is Marjorie Perkins? Woman, 87, fights off 'awfully hungry' teen intruder before feeding him
The teenage intruder now faces charges including burglary, criminal threatening, assault, and underage drinking
2023-08-04 19:47
Novo Nordisk shares rise as Wegovy shows heart benefits beyond weight loss
Novo Nordisk shares rise as Wegovy shows heart benefits beyond weight loss
By Maggie Fick LONDON (Reuters) -Novo Nordisk shares rose 3% on Monday as the market reacted to data the drugmaker
2023-11-13 19:56
13 angry and sad social media reactions after Sycamore Gap tree cut down
13 angry and sad social media reactions after Sycamore Gap tree cut down
A 16-year-old has been released on bail following his arrest on suspicion of criminal damage on one of the UK's most photographed trees. Authorities said the Sycamore Gap, next to Hadrian’s Wall in Northumberland, was "deliberately felled” in an apparent act of vandalism. The National Trust said it was "shocked and saddened" that the "iconic" tree had been cut down. National Trust general manager Andrew Poad, said: "We are deeply shocked at what appears to be, an act of vandalism. "The tree has been an important and iconic feature in the landscape for nearly 200 years and means a lot to the local community and to anyone who has visited the site." Alison Hawkins, who lives in Liverpool, was one of the first people to see the fallen tree, posting a picture on Facebook, writing: "An awful moment for all walking Hadrians wall the Sycamore Gap tree has gone! Not the storm an absolute ******* felled it!!" Hawkins, who was on her fourth day of walking Hadrian’s Wall, said she was "tearful" when she discovered the tree had been cut down. "At first we thought it was because of the storm but then we saw a national park ranger," she told PA News. "He said it had been cut down and there was paint around the cut section, so it was a professional who knew where they were going to cut." "It was a proper shock," she continued. "It’s basically the iconic picture that everyone wants to see." "You can forgive nature doing it but you can’t forgive that. We’ve carried on the walk but news is spreading so we’ve passed quite a few people asking us if it’s true." Inevitably, once the news about the beloved tree spread to X/Twitter, devastated locals took to the platform with their thoughts: Meanwhile, others had only just learnt about its existence: One person responded: "Don’t worry, I live about an hour away and I’d never heard of it either." Another wrote: "This reaction to the sycamore tree being felled is getting a little OTT no?" Others did what Twitter does best, and poked fun at the incident: Sign up for our free Indy100 weekly newsletter Have your say in our news democracy. Click the upvote icon at the top of the page to help raise this article through the indy100 rankings.
2023-09-29 19:25
Why are Jeff Bezos and Lauren Sanchez taking it slow? Couple has no wedding plans yet, claims source
Why are Jeff Bezos and Lauren Sanchez taking it slow? Couple has no wedding plans yet, claims source
'They’re still just enjoying the engagement and they had an amazing time with close friends [at the party],' said a source
2023-08-05 07:54
Mike Johnson: Republicans got a Speaker elected. Now begins the hard part
Mike Johnson: Republicans got a Speaker elected. Now begins the hard part
Despite the applause as Mike Johnson won the gavel, the party must show it can stop infighting and govern.
2023-10-26 04:22
Tencent’s Revenue Grows Most in Over a Year After China Reopens
Tencent’s Revenue Grows Most in Over a Year After China Reopens
Tencent Holdings Ltd. grew revenue at its fastest pace in more than a year, fueling hopes the world’s
2023-05-17 16:55