J3N Provides the Latest and Most Up-to-Date News, You Can Stay Informed and Connected to the World.
⎯ 《 Just 3 N : New News Now 》
Man’s ‘long Covid’ turns out to be decade-old brain tumour
Man’s ‘long Covid’ turns out to be decade-old brain tumour
A man who put his tiredness down to long Covid was told he actually had a brain tumour that had been growing for 10 years. Grant Churnin-Ritchie, 42, repeatedly visited his GP after a bout of Covid in July 2021 left him with constant tiredness and a tingling in his right arm. For several months, he was told it was long Covid, but Grant was convinced it was more serious. After blood tests, an ECG and an MRI scan, it was revealed he had a pituitary tumour. This type of tumour affects the pituitary gland, a pea-sized organ in the brain which controls growth and development. Grant, a Microsoft specialist from Horsforth, Leeds, West Yorkshire, said: “I kept going to my GP who said I had long Covid. This went on for several months, but I really didn’t feel well in myself and felt it was something more serious. “I was so tired and I was experiencing a tingling sensation in my arms. “I had blood tests and an ECG at Seacroft Hospital in Leeds, which revealed an abnormal heartbeat.” Grant was also told he had adrenal insufficiency - in which the adrenal gland doesn’t make enough hormones - and hypothyroidism - an under-active thyroid gland. These are both symptoms of a pituitary tumour. The father-of-three said: “An endocrinologist at St James’ University Hospital said it could be caused by Covid or a pituitary tumour. “An MRI scan confirmed it was a brain tumour which had probably been growing for 10 years.” Grant waited 11 months for his operation before the tumour was removed on January 16 2023. He said: “Soon after, I started to feel a lot better. Removing the tumour allowed some of the adrenal gland to start functioning again. “Even though I now have to take medication, I can lead a normal life. “Even though surgeons removed the tumour, there is a 20 per cent chance of it growing back. “I have an MRI scan in July so I should know more then.” Grant raised £2.5k after running Leeds Half Marathon for Brain Tumour Research on May 14 with his wife, Hannah, 40. He said: “Being able to run the half marathon with my wife Hannah was great, and I’m glad to be able to raise awareness of brain tumours. “Because I only had two months to train for the race, I found it very hard to complete. Luckily, I had my wonderful family and friends cheering me on which got me through it. “I wanted to give something back, and this was my way of saying thank you to the medical teams and Brain Tumour Research for what they do for people with this disease.” Matthew Price, community development manager at Brain Tumour Research said: “We’re really grateful to Grant for taking on the Leeds Half Marathon as it’s only with the support of people like him that we’re able to progress our research into brain tumours and improve the outcome for patients like him who are forced to fight this awful disease.” SWNS Read More Boy, 8, rushed to hospital after feeling constipated diagnosed with cancer A TikTok model made viral videos of her grandmother’s choice to die. Here’s why Parents of baby who died in maternity scandal say care concerns ‘batted away’ A 1D fan claimed she had a tumour. We still don’t know the truth after her death Talented boxer reveals first sign of brain tumour after collapsing at service station Father shares cancer symptoms he thought was too much coffee
2023-05-25 17:55
Tami Manis: Tennessee woman earns world record for longest mullet after not cutting hair for 33 years
Tami Manis: Tennessee woman earns world record for longest mullet after not cutting hair for 33 years
Tami Manis was inspired by Aimee Mann's hairstyle from the music video of 'Voices Carry' by 'Til Tuesday
2023-09-02 18:15
What happened between Jake Paul and Michael Bisping? UFC legend leaks The Problem Child's irate texts against Dana White
What happened between Jake Paul and Michael Bisping? UFC legend leaks The Problem Child's irate texts against Dana White
Michael Bisping recently revealed that Jake Paul has sent aggresive texts against Dana White
2023-07-29 16:24
Wearing shorts on the Senate floor? Americans may be OK with it
Wearing shorts on the Senate floor? Americans may be OK with it
The US Senate is getting a makeover. Majority Leader Chuck Schumer has told the sergeant-at-arms to no longer enforce the body's informal dress code for senators on the chamber floor. This means, for example, that male senators will no longer be forced to wear suits.
2023-09-19 03:59
House tees up vote on support for Israel after Democrat's comments about 'racist' state
House tees up vote on support for Israel after Democrat's comments about 'racist' state
The House will vote on a Republican-led resolution reaffirming support for Israel, which appears to serve as an implicit rebuke of a leading Democrat who called the country a “racist state” but later apologized
2023-07-19 06:20
Russia-Ukraine war – live: Putin’s troops pushed back miles says Kyiv after major breakthrough on Dnipro River
Russia-Ukraine war – live: Putin’s troops pushed back miles says Kyiv after major breakthrough on Dnipro River
Ukrainian forces say they have pushed Russian troops three to eight kilometeres back on the banks of the key Dnipro River. If confirmed, it would be the first meaningful advance by Kyiv’s forces months into a relatively slow counteroffensive. “Preliminary figures vary from three to eight kilometres, depending on the specifics, geography and landscape design of the left bank,” army spokeswoman Natalia Gumenyuk told Ukrainian television, without specifying whether Ukraine’s military had complete control of the area or if the Russians had retreated. Ukrainian and Russian forces have been entrenched on opposite sides of the vast waterway in the southern Kherson region for more than a year, after Russia withdrew its troops from the western bank last November. Ukrainian forces have staged multiple attempts to cross and hold positions on the Russian-controlled side - with officials in Kyiv finally reporting a “successful” breakthrough last week. After securing multiple footholds on the eastern bank, the Ukrainian military claimed to have repelled 12 attacks over the weekend. Mr Putin has lost around a brigade’s worth of forces there in a month, claims Kyiv. Read More Russian drones target Kyiv as UK Defense Ministry says little chance of front-line change An orphaned teenager who was taken to Russia early in the Ukraine war is back home with relatives Russia’s plan B in Ukraine is working – now is not the moment for the West to turn away
2023-11-20 17:21
How did Elise Finch die? Devastated coworkers and friends mourn the loss of 'gifted' meteorologist and 'devoted' mom
How did Elise Finch die? Devastated coworkers and friends mourn the loss of 'gifted' meteorologist and 'devoted' mom
'Elise was fiercely loyal to those she loved, a straight shooter, a consummate professional,' said Jessica Moore, a WCBS anchor
2023-07-17 20:18
Gunman in Monterey Park mass shooting sent 'manifesto' to FBI, sheriff says
Gunman in Monterey Park mass shooting sent 'manifesto' to FBI, sheriff says
The gunman who opened fire during a Lunar New Year celebration near Los Angeles in January, killing 11 people and injuring others, sent writings to the FBI, according to Los Angeles County Sheriff Robert Luna.
2023-07-22 10:53
Governors, Biden administration push to quadruple efficient heating, AC units by 2030
Governors, Biden administration push to quadruple efficient heating, AC units by 2030
A coalition of 25 governors and the Biden administration are set to announce a pledge Thursday morning to quadruple the number of heat pumps in U.S. homes by 2030
2023-09-21 18:53
Nigeria elections: Websites use false stories to attract views and ads
Nigeria elections: Websites use false stories to attract views and ads
The BBC Global Disinformation Team analysed three new websites in Nigeria and found many false stories.
2023-09-14 15:48
Jesse McFadden: 32 phones linked to sex offender’s ‘house of horrors’ spark fears of more crimes
Jesse McFadden: 32 phones linked to sex offender’s ‘house of horrors’ spark fears of more crimes
Jesse McFadden's victim Ivy Webster's family called on law enforcement to seize all electronic devices found in the Henryetta propert
2023-05-11 16:28
Chinese Premier Li Qianq takes a test ride on Indonesia's new high-speed railway
Chinese Premier Li Qianq takes a test ride on Indonesia's new high-speed railway
Chinese Premier Li Qiang has taken a test ride on Southeast Asia’s first high-speed railway, which connects two Indonesian cities as part of China’s Belt and Road infrastructure initiative
2023-09-07 12:29