
China Central Bank Pledges to Use Policy Tools to Spur Recovery
The People’s Bank of China urged patience and confidence in the economy’s recovery as it pledged to use
2023-07-14 11:19

How Phone Hackers Paved the Way for Apple
The ‘phone phreakers’ of the 1960s and 1970s indirectly led to the tech boom of today.
2023-10-06 06:55

UK officially bans Russia’s Wagner paramilitary group as terrorist organisation
The UK has formally banned Russia's mercenary Wagner Group as a terrorist organisation weeks after the death of its leader Yevgeny Prigozhin. The government order, approved on Friday, makes it a criminal offence to be a member or a supporter of the paramilitary group in the UK. “The Russian mercenary organisation, Wagner Group, has been proscribed as a terrorist organisation today after an order was laid in Parliament on Wednesday September 6,” the Home Office said in a statement. Apart from joining the group or showing support, arranging meetings for the group and displacing Wagner's flag or logo will also be considered a criminal offence. Those found guilty of violating the order will face a potential prison sentence of up to 14 years, which can be handed down alongside or in place of a fine, it added. The move puts Wagner in the same category as the Islamic State group, the Palestinian militant group Hamas, Boko Haram in Africa and Northern Ireland paramilitaries among others. The Wagner Group is a private military company that was under the control of Prigozhin until his reported death in a plane crash on 23 August. It has been a key part of Moscow’s fighting force in Russia's invasion of Ukraine. Home secretary Suella Braverman proposing the ban last week said Wagner has been "involved in looting, torture and barbarous murders". Calling the group a "threat to national security", Ms Braverman added:"They are terrorists, plain and simple - and this proscription order makes that clear in UK law." The ban will allow UK authorities to seize the organisation’s assets in a symbolic move as Wagner is not known to operate in Britain. Wagner cut its teeth in deployments to Crimea – illegally annexed by Russia in 2014 – and eastern Ukraine’s Donbas region in the aftermath of that act and has since dispatched troops to several conflicts in the Middle East and Africa, including the Syrian Civil War. The ban came into force following a recommendation by the parliament’s influential Foreign Affairs Committee in July that Wagner be outlawed. The committee said British authorities had “underplayed and underestimated” the threat posed by the mercenary group. The committee said Wagner’s future was uncertain after Prigozhin’s short-lived armed mutiny against Russia’s top military leaders in June. The lawmakers said Britain should take advantage of the confused situation to “disrupt” Wagner. Several other allies of Ukraine have sanctioned Wagner's leaders, and earlier this year, the Lithuanian and Estonian legislatures passed resolutions declaring it a terrorist organisation. The US has designated the Wagner Group as a transnational criminal organisation. Read More With its leader dead, can the Wagner group rise and ride again? What next for the Wagner Group as leader presumed dead in plane crash? Ukraine-Russia war – live: ‘Significant losses’ for Putin’s forces as Kyiv retakes village and attacks ships The Body in the Woods | An Independent TV Original Documentary The harrowing discovery at centre of The Independent’s new documentary
2023-09-16 14:55

Andrew Tate and Tristan Tate in hot water after shocking claims of sexual violence and coercion emerge in prosecution files: 'Going to slave b*****s'
Andrew Tate and Tristan Tate accused of coercing women and taking their money
2023-08-24 16:15

12 of the Fiercest Real-Life Pirates in History
They pillaged, they invaded, and they obeyed only the sea laws they made up as they went along.
2023-08-29 01:52

Who is Omar Drabick? North Carolina man accused of killing wife, tossing her body off a bridge into Jordan Lake
Omar Drabick faces a first-degree murder charge and is currently held in the Chatham County Detention Center without bond
2023-09-21 17:52

Prosecutors ask judge to restrict Trump’s ‘inflammatory’ attacks surrounding election subversion case
Federal prosecutors are asking the judge overseeing a case targeting Donald Trump’s alleged efforts to subvert the outcome of the 2020 presidential election to help stop his wave of “inflammatory” attacks. Following a grand jury’s indictment in the case, the former president has “repeatedly and widely disseminated public statements” attacking Washington DC residents as well as members of the court, prosecutors and prospective witnesses, according to a filing in US District Court on 15 September. His statements threaten “to undermine the integrity of these proceedings and prejudice the jury pool,” prosecutors warned. Prosecutors with US Department of Justice special counsel Jack Smith have asked US District Court Judge Tanya Chutkan to take “immediate” steps to ensure a fair trial and an impartial jury, including drafting a “narrowly tailored order” that restricts “certain prejudicial extrajudicial statements” from Mr Trump. An unsparing assessment of Mr Trump’s remarks charts the former president’s ongoing and baseless narrative casting doubt on the integrity and veracity of US elections, his remarks targeting his perceived political opponents, including family members of the judges and prosecutors overseeing the criminal cases against him, and how his bullhorn dog-whistle statements are heard among his supporters who elevate those threats. “The defendant has an established practice of issuing inflammatory public statements targeted at individuals or institutions that present an obstacle or challenge to him,” including bogus statements surrounding US elections that have “engendered widespread mistrust in the administration of the election, and the individuals whom he targeted were subject to threats and harassment,” according to prosecutors. Mr Trump knows that “when he publicly attacks individuals and institutions, he inspires others to perpetrate threats and harassment against his targets,” according to the filing, and that he continues those attacks “precisely because he knows that in doing so, he is able to roil the public and marshal and prompt his supporters.” The filing includes several posts from Mr Trump’s Truth Social account, which the former president has used as a bully pulpit to his supporters to direct the narratives surrounding the criminal cases against him while casting himself as a victim of political prosecution. Mr Trump has “posted publicly about individuals whom he has reason to believe will be witnesses in this trial,” and his “relentless public posts marshaling anger and mistrust in the justice system, the Court, and prosecutors have already influenced the public,” according to prosecutors. The special counsel’s office has also faced “multiple threats,” according to the filing. In a separate filing on Friday, prosecutors have warned a judge that people connected to the case have faced “threats and harassment” fuelled by the former president’s “inflammatory public statements.” Judge Chutkan has allowed prosecutors to seal those names, according to the nine-page order on 15 September. Prosecutors asked to court to withhold the names and other identifying information of “certain individuals” targeted by Mr Trump with “inflammatory” statements, as well as excerpts from witness interview transcripts that describe the alleged threats and harassment they received, according to the filing. “The government seeks to establish that Defendant has publicly criticized his perceived adversaries and is aware that this criticism has led to their harassment,” the judge wrote. This is a developing story Read More Trump’s Twitter DMs handed over as special counsel asks for narrow gag order in Jan 6 case – latest
2023-09-16 05:47

Why did Twitch ban Dr Disrespect? YouTuber considers joining Kick if platform offered him massive xQc-like deal
Dr Disrespect, who was banned from Twitch in 2020, can be one of the biggest streamers to join Kick, one of the newest streaming platforms
2023-08-28 16:56

Jake Paul all charged up to take on Canelo Alvarez: 'We're closer than we think'
Jake Paul wants to fight Canelo Alvarez, one of the top fighters in the world right now, and he is preparing hard for this challenge
2023-11-21 13:30

US official, Chinese held candid, productive talks -State Dept
By Ryan Woo and Michael Martina BEIJING/WASHINGTON (Reuters) -A senior U.S. diplomat held candid and productive talks on Monday with
2023-06-06 05:26

Woman who accused Biden of sexually assaulting her in 1993 defects to Russia
A former staffer who accused Joe Biden of sexual assault has defected to Moscow and spoken to Russian state media in a news conference that lasted several hours.
2023-05-31 17:58

Millions of kids are missing weeks of school as attendance tanks across the US
Nationwide, students have been absent at record rates since schools reopened after COVID-forced closures
2023-08-11 12:28
You Might Like...

Who is William Spivey? Ex-police chief who faked his death to avoid charges after wild crime spree pleads guilty

'You could've been a Bee Gee!': Fans gush over Robin Roberts as ‘GMA’ host breaks out into impromptu karaoke session while driving

Trump immediately starts fundraising after he’s indicted over secret papers hoard

In divided US, women crisscross country for abortion care

The Nigerians learning to speak with British accents

Eskom Latest: Generation Improves, Off-Peak Blackouts Suspended

Guardians manager Terry Francona to miss second game after being hospitalized on road trip

US House Republicans unveil bill to fund Israel by cutting IRS budget