Wagner Group: Timeline of Yevgeny Progozhin’s private army as leader ‘killed in plane crash’
Yevgeny Prigozhin, head of Russia’s Wagner mercenary group, is reported to have been killed in a plane crash northwest of Moscow - exactly two months after leading a short-lived and unsuccessful mutiny against president Vladimir Putin. The plane crash which happened near the village of Kuzhenkino, northwest of Moscow, during a flight from Moscow to St Petersburg on Wednesday evening. Western intelligence agencies believe that Putin may have had a hand in downing the aircraft. The Wagner Group has become best known for its involvement in Russia’s illegal invasion of Ukraine, but the private army, which Prigozhin claimed had 25,000 soldiers at the beginning of the war, has been around since 2014 and has been involved in several other conflicts. Here, The Independent takes a look at Wagner’s involvement in other countries, when it got involved in Ukraine and the events surrounding Prigozhin’s failed mutiny back in June, which sent shockwaves through Russia. 2014 - Wager group is founded by Prigozhin Prigozhin, a wealthy businessman known as Putin’s chef because he provided catering services to the Kremlin, said he founded the group back in 2014 and it was involved in Russia’s invasion and annexation of the Crimea peninsula from Ukraine. Wagner forces have been involved in Syria’s civil war since 2015, supporting pro-government forces and oil fields. The group has had a growing presence in Africa in recent years and has been detected in Libya, Sudan, the Central African Republic and Mail. 28 March 2022 - mercenaries are deployed to Ukraine Britain’s Ministry of Defence (MoD) first reported that Wagner had been deployed in Ukraine on 28 March 2022, just a month into the Kremlin’s invasion – after Russian losses had already begun to hamper the pace of the initial assault. But some reports suggest they had been involved since the beginning of the invasion on 24 February. Military consultant Nicholas Drummond told The Independent: “Wagner was involved from the start but the group started to become a key player when the initial assault ran into difficulty. “By the end of March, it was very evident that the invasion had gone wrong. Putin used Prigozhin as a troubleshooter and Wagner was there to fill the gaps.” 14 April - Prigozhin calls for end to war Prigozhin urges Putin to end the war and to tell the Russian people that the country had achieved the aims of its “special military operation. He claimed that Russia had taken a “fat chunk” of Ukrainian territory, and that the most strategic route for its armed forces - who have suffered severe losses - would be to defend existing gains. His comments, which came in a rambling statement posted online, marked the first time a senior figure in the war publicly called for the Kremlin to stop the war. Over the next few months - and up until the weeks before his reported death - he would go on to repeatedly criticise the Kremlin’s strategy in the war and complain about the number of troops he was losing. 4 May - Prigozhin rages at top military brass Prigozhin launches blistering attack on Russia top military brass after suffering heavy losses on Bakhmut. In an expletive-ridden video, recorded in a field littered with corpses, blamed the Kremlin for the deaths. “These are Wagner lads who died today. The blood is still fresh,” he says, pointing to roughly three dozen bodies he says are Wagner fighters. “They came here as volunteers and are dying so you can sit like fat cats in your luxury offices.” 20 May - Wager claims it has taken Bakhmut Wagner claims that its forces have taken control of the city of Bakhmut after the longest and most grinding battle of the Russia-Ukraine war, but Ukrainian defense officials dismiss claims as false. In a video posted on Telegram, Wagner head Yevgeny Prigozhin said the city came under complete Russian control at about midday Saturday. He spoke flanked by about half a dozen fighters, with ruined buildings in the background and explosions heard in the distance. However, after the video appeared, Ukrainian deputy defence minister Hanna Maliar said heavy fighting was continuing. 25 May - Wagner troops leave Bakhmut Russia’s Wagner mercenary group has started withdrawing its forces from the Ukrainian city of Bakhmut and transferring its positions there to regular Russian troops, its founder Yevgeny Prigozhin said in a video published on Thursday. "We are withdrawing the units from Bakhmut. From today at five in the morning, May 25 until June 1, most of the units will rebase to camps in the rear. We are handing our positions to the military," he said. 23/24June - Prigozhin leads rebellion against Kremlin Prigozhin leads rebellion against the Kremlin and demands the sacking of defence minister Sergei Shoigu, who he blames for Russia’s faltering campaign in Ukraine Thousands of Wagner fighters move rapidly from Russia’s south towards the capital in a "march for justice", reportedly making it to within 120 miles from the city before Priogozhin calls off their advance. 27 June - Belarus president claims he convinced Prigozhin to call off mutiny Alexander Lukashenko says that he convinced Prigozhin in an emotional, expletive-laden phone call to end the mutiny. Under a deal brokered by Lukashenko, an old friend, Prigozhin abandoned what a "march for justice" by thousands of his men on Moscow in exchange for safe passage to exile in Belarus. 6 July - Prigozhin ‘free’ man in St Petersburg Lukashenko says Prigozhin is in St Petersburg and a "free" man - despite staging rebellion weeks earlier. The Belarusian leader said then "maybe he went to Moscow, maybe somewhere else, but he is not on the territory of Belarus". 18 July - Prigozhin welcomes troops to Belarus Wagner chief appears in video allegedly showing him welcoming his troops to Belarus. 27 July - Images suggest Wagner chief attended meeting in St Petersburg Images posted online appear to show Prigozhin attending a meeting in St Petersburg, where Putin was also in attendance for the Russia-Africa summit. 22 August - Prigozhin posts final video before reported death In the video, Mr Prigozhin was seen toting an assault rifle and wearing military fatigues, with his comments suggesting the clip was shot in an unnamed African country. The Wagner boss said during the clip that he is recruiting “strongmen” and said the group will “fulfil the tasks that were set” by the Russian government. The video was shared on Telegram channels affiliated with the Wagner group, as Mr Prigozhin said the mercenary group was “making Russia even greater on all continents, and Africa even more free”. 23 August - Prigozhin reportedly killed in plane crash Prigozhin is presumed dead after being named among passengers on a private jet that crashed into a field near Moscow with no survivors. Kremlin stays silent on plane crash throughout the following day. Read More If the Wagner mercenary chief is dead, he got the death he deserved Minister warns against jumping to conclusions over Wagner chief’s reported death The downed Russian jet carried Wagner's hierarchy, from Prigozhin's No. 2 to his bodyguards The Body in the Woods | An Independent TV Original Documentary The harrowing discovery at centre of The Independent’s new documentary
2023-08-25 02:26
A California man spewed anti-LGBT+ hate online. Then he murdered a mom-of-nine over a Pride flag
Travis Ikeguchi had been spewing anti-LGBT+ content on social media for quite some time. Behind his keyboard, the 27-year-old California man was posting images of burning Pride flags and lashing out at the LGBT+ community as well as law enforcement. Then, he came out from behind his online persona and murdered a mother-of-nine fashion entrepreneur over the Pride flag she had dared to hang outside her own store, according to authorities. On Friday, Ikeguchi went to the Mag.Pi store on Hook Creek Road owned by Laura “Lauri” Ann Carleton, according to police in San Bernardino. He confronted her about the rainbow flag, tearing it down while screaming homophobic slurs at her. Then he pulled out a gun, shooting the 66-year-old. Officers arrived on the scene to find Carleton suffering a single gunshot wound before she died in the street. By this time, Ikeguchi had fled the scene before he was tracked down by police. A standoff ensued and he opened fire on the officers before he was shot and killed by law enforcement. Carleton’s senseless murder has since led to an outpouring of grief and anger from her children and family members, Hollywood stars and the LGBT+ community members who have warned that her killing is a marker of the anti-LGBT+ hate currently being spread across the US. Now, officials have confirmed the killer’s history of anti-LGBT+ comments on social media. Speaking at a press conference on Monday, the San Bernardino County Sheriff’s Department said that Ikeguchi – from Cedar Glen, California – had made many posts online that were critical of the LGBT+ community and law enforcement. Public information officer Mara Rodriguez said that the posts were made on multiple different social media platforms, including X, formerly known as Twitter, and the far-right platform Gab. “The content of Ikeguchi’s social media posts contained posts critical to the LGBTQIA community,” said the officer. Accounts on X and Gab under Ikeguchi’s name, reviewed by The Independent, appear to match the hateful posts referred to by authorities. In one post, dated 13 June and pinned to the top of the X account, Ikeguchi appeared to post an image of a burning rainbow flag. “What to do with the LGBTQP flag?” the chilling post was captioned. In another post on 28 June, the user took aim at same-sex marriage and abortion. “Abortion and same-sex marriage are both immoral and are design to destroy humanity one by one,” the tweet read. “So if someone is pro-abortion and pro-LGBTQP, they are at war against the foundation of family values. –Travis Ikeguchi 6/23/2023 6:39am.” In a post the same day, he revealed a deep-rooted paranoia for law enforcement. “Do not follow their traps they want to know everything about you to catch you and used against you in court and lie about you. Watch out their sociopathic schemes,” the post read. Over on Gab – the site popular with extreme right-wing figures – the account believed to belong to Ikeguchi regularly shared anti-LGBT+ and anti-law enforcement rhetoric. One harrowing post shared on Friday – the day of Carleton’s murder – read: “America must repent for a lot of things we allow; abortion/baby killing, sexual immortality, pornography, same-sex marriages, LGBTQP/pedophilia, freemasonry, religiosity, politics, wars, colonialism, the federal reserve.” The anti-LGBT+ content went back as far as two years, with a 2021 post reading: “We need to STOP COMPROMISING on this LGBT dictatorship and not let them take over our lives!” In another violent post also from 2021, the user spoke of killing police officers. “I know it’s controversial for me to mention the option to kill a police officer, but these police officers are not the servants for the people they are the servants for the laws,” the post read. The Independent has reached out to San Bernardino County Sheriff’s Department for comment on the accounts. A sheriff’s spokesperson told NBC News that Carleton’s murder is now being investigated as a hate crime. The Californian community has been left reeling from the mother-of-nine’s murder, which comes at a time of increased anti-LGBT+ right-wing rhetoric. Friends have said that Carleton had been faced with people ripping down the Pride flag hanging outside her Cedar Glen clothing store ever since she opened the store two years ago. But, the well-known LGBT+ ally refused to be undeterred, and would simply get a new flag and hang it right back up. Never did anyone expect that her bravery in the face of hate would end with her brutal murder. Her daughters Ari and Kelsey released a statement on Instagram saying that their mother, who was married to husband Bort for 28 years, was “murdered over a pride flag that she proudly hung on her storefront”. They remembered her as a “fearless, cool and compassionate” human being. “Make no mistake, this was a hate crime,” they wrote. “We find peace in knowing she passed quickly in a place she cherished, doing what she loved while fiercely defending something she believed in. She was fearless, cool and compassionate – always putting others first,” the post read. “We are overwhelmed by the outpouring of love and support that our family has received from loved ones and strangers alike, it has provided hope and light in our darkest days. We will continue to advocate for love, equality and acceptance in everything that we do. Love will always triumph over hate.” Many other friends and Hollywood celebs echoed their sentiments. Hollywood Director Paul Feig, whose works include Bridesmaids and The Heat, posted a tribute on Sunday in memory of his very close “wonderful friend”. “We are all devastated for her husband Bort and her family and the LGBTQ+ community, for whom Lauri was such a true ally,” he wrote. “This intolerance has to end. Anyone using hateful language against the LGBTQ+ community has to realize their words matter, that their words can inspire violence against innocent loving people. “Let’s all keep moving forward with tolerance and love. Let’s not let Lauri’s tragic death be in vain.” Sex and the City actress Kristin Davis, Star Trek actor George Takei and Jamie Lee Curtis also echoed these words. Meanwhile, outside the store where she was killed, loved ones, allies and community members showed their own defiance in the face of hate. As well as flowers, cards and photos of the popular store owner and mother-of-nine, multiple rainbow flags are now proudly on display. Read More Laura Carleton shooting – latest: Travis Ikeguchi named as gunman who killed mother-of-nine over Pride flag A murder over a Pride flag is sadly no surprise to anyone paying attention When people ripped her store’s Pride flag, Laura Carleton hung up another. This time it ended with her murder
2023-08-22 20:49
Police search Portugal reservoir in Madeleine McCann case
Police carried out new searches at a reservoir in Portugal on Tuesday connected to the disappearance of British toddler Madeleine McCann, who vanished from a resort in...
2023-05-23 21:51
Russia strikes Ukraine grain ports after pulling out of export deal
By Olena Harmash KYIV (Reuters) -Russia struck Ukrainian ports on Tuesday, a day after pulling out of a U.N.-backed deal
2023-07-18 19:28
US trade gap narrows to smallest in nearly three years
An increase in exports helped to reduce the overall US trade deficit in August to the smallest since late 2020, according to...
2023-10-05 21:54
Clearing Israel budget, Netanyahu hints at resumption of judicial overhaul
By Dan Williams JERUSALEM Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu secured a two-year Israeli national budget on Wednesday and suggested
2023-05-24 19:47
Kai Cenat breaks silence on his 'favorite female artist' SZA's remark involving Twitch King
Kai Cenat emphasized his continued support and affection for SZA
2023-09-16 14:56
Tornado devastates Texas Panhandle town, killing 3 and injuring dozens
The number of deaths has climbed to three after a tornado tore through the Texas Panhandle town of Perryton, leaving dozens more injured widespread damage
2023-06-16 12:53
Exploding wild pig population on western Canadian prairie threatens to invade northern US states
Minnesota, North Dakota and Montana and other northern states are making preparations to stop an invasion of wild pigs from Canada
2023-11-22 13:58
Kishida marks 78th anniversary of World War II's end without mentioning Japan's wartime aggression
Japanese Prime Minister Fumio Kishida has renewed a peace pledge as Japan observed the 78th anniversary of its World War II defeat
2023-08-15 15:21
The Women's World Cup official song is here, courtesy of BENEE and Mallrat
The Women's World Cup has an official song
2023-06-29 08:50
Ukraine's president replaces Territorial Defence Forces commander
KYIV President Volodymyr Zelenskiy has replaced the commander of Ukraine's Territorial Defence Forces, which have played an important
2023-10-09 20:51
You Might Like...
US goods trade deficit narrows; retail inventories rise
Stellantis recalls more than 32,000 hybrid Jeep Wrangler SUVs because of potential fire risk
Abkhazia: Russia to build naval base in Georgian separatist region, says local leader
Who was Dalton Janway? NASCAR driver Jimmie Johnson's slain nephew, 11, remembered as 'precious' student with 'loving smile'
G-20 Latest: World Bank Chief Aims to Boost Lending Ability
The Reddit blackout, explained: Why thousands of subreddits are protesting third-party app charges
At least 22 killed, dozens wounded in Lewiston, Maine shootings - NBC
Andrew Tate asserts women's true calling lies in obeying men and not 'work', Internet labels him 'lame'
