J3N Provides the Latest and Most Up-to-Date News, You Can Stay Informed and Connected to the World.
⎯ 《 Just 3 N : New News Now 》
‘Malibu sniper’ convicted of murdering California dad shot dead in camping tent
‘Malibu sniper’ convicted of murdering California dad shot dead in camping tent
A man has been convicted in the murder of a scientist shot dead on a family camping trip while sharing a tent with his young daughters in a California state park. Anthony Rauda, 46, was found guilty of second-degree murder in the death of Tristan Beaudette, 35, who was fatally shot in June 2018 at Malibu Creek State Park. He was also convicted of multiple burglaries and three counts of attempted murder: two counts related to opening fire in the direction of Beaudette’s daughters and a third related to shooting a Tesla driver, the Los Angeles Times reported. The defendant, who has been convicted of attacking two sheriff’s deputies since his arrest in late 2018, declined attendance at trial but will be present for sentencing next month. Prosecutors painted a picture of Rauda’s “pattern of stalking and preying upon campers.” He had been charged with seven other counts of attempted murder but was acquitted this month after he could not be definitively tied to the scenes. Mr Beaudette had been sleeping in a tent with his daughters, aged two and four, in the early morning hours of 22 June 2018. when he was fatally shot in the head. During the trial, his brother-in-law emotionally described awaking to hear one of his niece’s crying and saying “Wet, wet,” ABC7 reported. He attempted to wake up his brother but found his own hand “covered in blood,” realising in shock that he should remove Mr Beaudette’s girls from the tent. “I noticed there was nothing in his eyes,” he said of his brother-in-law. Mr Beaudette, a research scientist from Irvine, “was the last of 11 people Rauda was accused of shooting at over the course of two years,” the LA Times reported. In several instances, Rauda shot at moving vehicles or at campers in hammocks, wounding people on more than one occasion, prosecutors said. “Most of the early attacks involved the use of what prosecutors described as an ‘improvised shotgun’ filled with pellets that did not cause anyone life-threatening injuries,” the paper reported, but the defendant “at some point upgraded to a sawed-off rifle, the weapon used in each of the counts he was convicted of Friday.” Prosecutors said that Rauda sought to kill victims in creative ways during his spree. “He’s actively trying to do something that you know would cause death when he researches how to blow up a car by shooting out a gas tank, and then you see that he shoots at a BMW,” LA County Deputy District Attorney Antonella Nistorescu said in closing arguments, according to the LA Times. Rauda is due in court on 7 June for sentencing. Mr Beaudette, who met his wife in high school, had been planning to move with his family to the Bay Area the week following the shooting. His widow, Erica Wu, filed a lawsuit against the sheriff’s department, State Parks and others following her husband’s murder, alleging authorities had failed to adequately warn the public at shootings in the area where Mr Beaudette was ultimately killed – but a judge in 2021 ruled against her. Read More British man left in Sudan shot by sniper before wife dies of starvation Mother-of-six killed in road-rage incident after driver shot into her moving car Family speak out after scientist dad shot dead on California camping trip with daughters, 2 and 4 On 1st anniversary of Uvalde, Texas, school shooting, Biden will push for more gun control
2023-05-28 02:16
US weekly jobless claims unexpectedly fall
US weekly jobless claims unexpectedly fall
WASHINGTON The number of Americans filing new claims for unemployment benefits unexpectedly fell last week, indicating that the
2023-07-13 20:47
Nasa just uncovered mysterious new type of star ‘powered by dark matter’
Nasa just uncovered mysterious new type of star ‘powered by dark matter’
A mysterious new set of stars has been detected by Nasa’s James Webb Space Telescope, which could shed new light on dark matter. Dark matter remains one of the most hotly debated elements in our solar system, and the new objects could change the way it is studied. Scientists believe the huge, newly-discovered stars are powered by illusive dark matter and shared their findings in the journal PNAS. “Discovering a new type of star is pretty interesting all by itself, but discovering it’s dark matter that’s powering this – that would be huge,” said study co-author Katherine Freese from The University of Texas in Austin. Sign up to our free Indy100 weekly newsletter The dark stars, known as JADES-GS-z13-0, JADES-GS-z12-0 and JADES-GS-z11-0 – were first identified as galaxies last December. It’s thought that they existed about 320-400 million years after the Big Bang, making them some of the earliest objects ever seen. The nature of dark matter continues to fascinate and mystify the scientific community. It’s believed that it could be formed by a new type of undiscovered particle, and the theorised component of the universe does not absorb, reflect or emit light. It’s also thought that suspected dark stars like these could explain a potential anomaly surrounding the number of large galaxies in the early universe. Currently, there are too many to fit the predictions of the theories surrounding the origins and the future of the universe. “It’s more likely that something within the standard model [of cosmology] needs tuning, because proposing something entirely new, as we did, is always less probable,” Dr Freese said. “But if some of these objects that look like early galaxies are actually dark stars, the simulations of galaxy formation agree better with observations,” she explained. Have your say in our news democracy. Click the upvote icon at the top of the page to help raise this article through the indy100 rankings.
2023-07-15 19:18
Internet concerned as Bruce Willis' daughter Rumer posts about 'really missing' her father amid his dementia battle
Internet concerned as Bruce Willis' daughter Rumer posts about 'really missing' her father amid his dementia battle
Rumer Willis, 35, took a trip down memory lane and shared her emotions on Instagram
2023-11-22 19:56
Hunter Biden indicted on federal firearms charges in long-running probe weeks after plea deal failed
Hunter Biden indicted on federal firearms charges in long-running probe weeks after plea deal failed
Hunter Biden has been indicted on federal firearms charges
2023-09-15 02:19
'A Place in the Sun' host Jonnie Irwin struggling to share terminal cancer diagnosis with 3 sons ahead of Father's Day
'A Place in the Sun' host Jonnie Irwin struggling to share terminal cancer diagnosis with 3 sons ahead of Father's Day
Jonnie Irwin said, 'Let's bury our heads in the sand for as long as possible,' as he is unwilling to share the 'horrible news' of cancer with his sons
2023-06-12 21:28
Wedding party looked after by Rhodes residents
Wedding party looked after by Rhodes residents
A wedding party is given a villa, food and water by residents of the fire-hit island of Rhodes.
2023-07-25 22:49
Live updates: North Korean leader offers his country's support to Russia amid its war in Ukraine
Live updates: North Korean leader offers his country's support to Russia amid its war in Ukraine
North Korean leader Kim Jong Un has told Russian President Vladimir Putin that his country offers its “full and unconditional support” for Russia’s “sacred fight” to defend its security interests, an apparent reference to the war in Ukraine
2023-09-13 17:53
Irishman Alan Fisher unseats Nigerian Hilda Baci as cooking marathon record holder
Irishman Alan Fisher unseats Nigerian Hilda Baci as cooking marathon record holder
Irish chef Alan Fisher cooked for more than five days to clinch the cooking marathon world record from Hilda Baci.
2023-11-08 04:28
Donald Trump Jr says he wouldn’t have got away with having cocaine at White House: ‘Luckily it’s not my thing’
Donald Trump Jr says he wouldn’t have got away with having cocaine at White House: ‘Luckily it’s not my thing’
Former White House resident Donald Trump Jr has weighed in after the Secret Service closed its investigation into the discovery of cocaine in the building - suggesting he would not have “gotten away with that”. The eldest son of former president Donald Trump made the comments at the Turning Point Action Conference on Sunday, when he assured the crowd that snorting cocaine was not his “thing”. “My guys who I stayed in touch with — many of them just dear friends — they’re like, ‘Hey dude, there’s no way you would’ve gotten away with that,’” he animatedly told the crowd. “I go, ‘I know!’ Luckily, I don’t snort, er, cocaine! It’s just not my thing.” Mr Trump has previously denied being a drug user. On his Triggered podcast earlier this year, he described to former Trump White House official Kash Patel the price of his getting involved in politics, in the process making a series of unsubstantiated claims about President Biden’s son Hunter. “I look at what they called me: a traitor,” Mr Trump said. “Adam Schiff wanted to try me for treason, a crime punishable by death, but Hunter Biden can take a billion from China, work for Ukraine oligarchs, work for Russian oligarchs, money launder, be paid in diamonds off the books, not declare anything in taxes, drop guns in dumpsters across from high schools, and it’s like, ‘He’s an upstanding human being. And then I give an impassioned speech, and it’s ‘Don Jr is on coke.’” A small amount of cocaine (around .007oz – enough for a misdemeanour charge) – was discovered in the White House, but the Secret Service said their investigation would have involved 500 people, not a short enough list of suspects to draw any concrete conclusions. However the lack of investigation has lef to criticisms levelled at President Joe Biden for not doing enough to find the culprit, as well as at White House staff in general. Conservative pundits have speculated – without evidence – that the drug may have belonged to the president’s son, Hunter Biden, who is a recovering drug addict. Former President Donald Trump posted on Truth Social: “Despite all of the cameras pointing directly at the ‘scene of the crime,’ and the greatest forensics anywhere in the World, they just can’t figure it out? They know the answer, and so does everyone else!” He subsequently took to calling President Biden a “crackhead”. Read More ‘Don Jr is on coke’: Trump’s son mocks accusations of drug use over his ‘impassioned’ speeches Trump finally reveals how he thinks he could end Russia’s war in Ukraine in a day Judge in Trump documents case under the spotlight after case intensifies following controversial ruling Rudy Giuliani sparks backlash with bizarre appearance at Gilgo Beach murder suspect’s home Donald Trump brands US a ‘third-world hellhole’ run by ‘perverts’ and ‘thugs’ ‘Stoned’ DeSantis canvasser’s lewd rant caught on doorbell camera as 2024 campaign rushes to cut costs
2023-07-18 02:19
Buster Murdaugh admits his father has characteristics of a 'psychopath' but says he's innocent in Fox Nation documentary
Buster Murdaugh admits his father has characteristics of a 'psychopath' but says he's innocent in Fox Nation documentary
Buster Murdaugh is speaking out for the first time claiming he does not believe his father, Alex Murdaugh, killed his mother and brother, but thinks it is fair to call his father a "psychopath."
2023-09-02 07:17
Bankman-Fried charged with using stolen customer funds for $100 million in US political donations
Bankman-Fried charged with using stolen customer funds for $100 million in US political donations
(Reuters) -Sam Bankman-Fried used stolen customer funds to make more than $100 million in campaign contributions ahead of the 2022
2023-08-15 04:15