Ukraine launches its ‘largest drone strike’ of war so far on Crimea and Black Sea targets
Ukraine has fired at least 19 “lethal” drones over the Black Sea and the Crimean peninsula, and three more over other bordering regions of Russia, the Russian defence ministry said on Thursday. The Russian anti-aircraft units intercepted and destroyed over a dozen drones in the region, the ministry said on its Telegram channel. “In the night from 20 to 21 September, an attempt by the Kyiv regime to commit a terrorist attack with lethal drones on sites in the Russian Federation was intercepted,” the ministry said. Russian and Crimea-related Telegram channels reported loud explosions overnight. “In Sevastopol, in the area of ​​​​Kazachya and Kamyshovaya bays, it has been very loud for the last hour,” read a post on Telegram channel Crimean Wind, adding that the explosions set off car alarms. “The Ukrainian Armed Forces are massively trying to attack Crimea using drones. According to military officials, at least seven drones have been shot down in just the last 20 minutes. Residents of Evpatoria, Dzhankoy, Balaklava, Sevastopol, Saki, Novofedorovka and other cities report the sounds of air defence,” said Baza, a prominent Telegram account related to Russia’s security services. It added that the locals have termed the overnight attack as the “largest” drone strike of all time. Three drones were downed over Kursk, Belgorod and Orlov in central and southern Russia. Belgorod, just 40km (25 miles) from Ukraine’s war frontline, has been under continued air assault every day this month. The illegally annexed Crimea is also now heavily targeted in the continuing warfare, with sensitive military infrastructure and sites in the region on Kyiv’s radar. The ministry did not mention if there are any immediate casualties or damage. While Ukraine rarely takes responsibility for these attacks on Russia and Russian-controlled territories, it has recounted the strikes with a sense of achievement as it maintains that targeting these regions aids its military counteroffensive. On Wednesday, Ukraine’s defence ministry made a rare triumphant video and confirmed its forces struck a Russian Black Sea fleet command post near Sevastopol in Crimea, a week after the major naval port was set ablaze in a cruise missile attack. Read More Ukraine-Russia war – live: Zelensky says UN ‘incapable’ of stopping Putin’s ‘criminal aggression’ Two-thirds say nuclear weapons make UK safer as support rises to Cold War levels South Korean leader warns Russia against weapons collaboration with the North UN incapable of stopping aggressors like Putin invading other countries, says Zelensky Zelensky tells UN to not make deals with ‘evil’ Russia: ‘Ask Prigozhin whether Putin can be trusted’
2023-09-21 12:28
Brendan Fraser Then and Now: 'The Whale' star's stellar journey through the years
After stepping out of the limelight and being blacklisted in Hollywood, Brendan Fraser made a spectacular comeback with 'The Whale' which led to his Oscar win
2023-09-27 15:46
Is It Time to Change How We Talk About 1.5C?
COP28 Daily Reports: Sign up for the Green Daily newsletter for comprehensive coverage of the climate summit right
2023-12-01 13:17
How tall is Megan Thee Stallion? ‘Savage’ singer’s height inspired her stage name
Megan Thee Stallion's height is one of the most striking features about her and she owns it with pride
2023-08-19 16:47
A company cancels its plans to recover more Titanic artifacts. Its renowned expert died on the Titan
The company that owns the salvage rights to the Titanic said it has cancelled plans to retrieve artifacts from the shipwreck
2023-10-12 05:23
Kansas must stop changing trans people's sex listing on driver's licenses, judge says
A state-court judge has ordered Kansas to stop allowing transgender people to change the listing for sex on their driver’s licenses
2023-07-11 03:59
Trump misses deadline to testify in E Jean Carroll trial – despite vowing to ‘confront’ case
Donald Trump has missed the deadline to testify in the civil rape trial brought against him by writer E Jean Carroll. The Sunday 5pm ET deadline passed without Mr Trump’s lawyers filing a motion to inform the court of any change in plans – despite the former president saying last week that he was cutting his trip to Scotland and Ireland short to head back to New York and “confront” Ms Carroll. US District Judge Lewis Kaplan had warned Mr Trump that once the deadline passed, he would no longer have the opportunity to testify in the case. “That ship will be irrevocably sailed,” he said. Ms Carroll, a former Elle advice columnist, claimed that he raped her in a dressing room in Manhattan’s Bergdorf Goodman department store in 1995 or 1996 – a claim Mr Trump strongly denies. Now, the defamation and battery trial is set to enter its final stages as closing arguments begin on Monday. Judge Kaplan issued the Sunday 5pm deadline on Thursday giving Mr Trump an extension to appear and testify in court. This came after Mr Trump told reporters in Ireland that he would “probably” shorten his trip and return to the US to attend the trial. “I’m going to go back, and I’m going to confront this,” Mr Trump said, adding that “this woman is a disgrace and it shouldn’t be allowed to happen in our country”, according to The Daily Beast. He also attacked Ms Carroll, calling her “fake” and saying that Judge Kaplan was “extremely hostile”. “I have to leave early. I don’t have to but I choose to,” Mr Trump said, according to the New York Daily News. “I was falsely accused by this woman. I have no idea who she is. It’s ridiculous.” “He doesn’t like me very much,” Mr Trump added of Judge Kaplan. “It’s a disgrace but we have to do it. It’s a part of life.” Judge Kaplan mentioned Mr Trump’s comments in Ireland when saying that the jury needed the opportunity to hear from him personally. “In the interests of justice,” the judge said he would allow the case to be reopened for a short period of time to give Mr Trump an opportunity to testify. “If he has second thoughts, I’ll at least consider it,” the judge said as he announced the deadline. But, despite Mr Trump’s comments, his lawyer Joe Tacopina said on Thursday that he wouldn’t be attending the trial. Ms Carroll’s legal team called 11 witnesses during the two-week proceedings while the defence called none. Both legal teams rested their cases on Thursday. Mr Trump has rejected all allegations in relation to the case, saying that Ms Carroll wasn’t his “type” and that he doesn’t know who she is. In his deposition in October of last year, which was partly shared by Ms Carroll’s legal team in court, he called Ms Carroll a “nutjob” who had made up the story of the rape to boost her book sales. Following Monday’s closing arguments, the jury is set to receive the case for deliberation on Tuesday. Read More Trump news – live: Trump misses last chance to testify in E Jean Carroll trial as closing arguments begin Biden trails Trump in brutal new poll after 2024 kickoff Trump rejects last chance to testify at New York civil trial Ivanka and Jared split over attending Trump 2024 launch – follow live Why was Donald Trump impeached twice during his first term? Four big lies Trump told during his 2024 presidential announcement
2023-05-08 21:45
Will Serial's Adnan Syed go back to jail?
A US appeals court will decide whether to send Syed back to prison or throw out his murder conviction.
2023-10-06 07:52
Poles vote in a high-stakes election that will determine whether right-wing party stays in power
Voting has begun in a high-stakes election in Poland that will chart the way forward for the European Union member on NATO's eastern flank
2023-10-15 14:28
Japan Set to Pour Fukushima Water Into Pacific, Irking China
Japan is set to win approval to discharge more than a million cubic meters of treated water from
2023-07-03 06:15
US to impose new costs on Russian evasion of oil price cap
The Biden administration is set to announce new measures to raise the cost of Russia's attempts to skirt a limit set on the price for its oil, a senior administration official told CNN, as the West aims to enforce more strictly a price cap first introduced nearly a year ago.
2023-10-12 10:53
Billions pledged for green development at Africa climate talks
The UAE pledged $4.5 billion in clean energy investments in Africa on Tuesday at a landmark climate summit aimed to showcase the continent's potential...
2023-09-05 16:46
You Might Like...
Lucrative speaking fees for Donald and Melania Trump revealed in revised personal financial disclosure filing
Suspect in Cash App executive Bob Lee's killing didn't argue with victim the night of the stabbing, defense attorneys say
'Too soon': Comic Hans Kim earns Internet's wrath after he cracks jokes about 'Friends' star Matthew Perry's hot tub death
Man with thousands of bullets and a grenade attacked police, killing officer. What was his plan?
COP27: What was agreed at the Sharm el Sheikh climate conference?
China 2024 Budget Deficit Seen Above 3.5% In Break With Past
Trial over Kari Lake’s last challenge to loss in Arizona governor’s race ends for 2nd day
Sunak Says ‘Not Focused’ on UK Election, Won’t Discuss Timing
