
UK lawmakers vote to approve report that Boris Johnson misled parliament
LONDON British lawmakers on Monday voted to approve a report that recommended sanctioning former prime minister Boris Johnson
2023-06-20 04:56

Republicans to cut University of Wisconsin budget in ongoing fight over diversity and inclusion
Republican lawmakers are planning to cut funding for University of Wisconsin campuses as the GOP-controlled state Legislature and school officials continue to clash over efforts to promote diversity and inclusion
2023-06-14 06:22

US appeals court overturns 'Varsity Blues' college scandal trial convictions
By Nate Raymond and Jonathan Stempel BOSTON A U.S. federal appeals court on Wednesday largely overturned the convictions
2023-05-11 05:16

US indicts nine alleged members of Russian cybercrime gang that targeted hospitals
The US Justice Department on Thursday announced indictments against nine men for working for a notorious cybercriminal network with alleged ties to Russian intelligence and which held US hospitals for ransom and reaped over $100 million in payments.
2023-09-08 06:20

Kendall Jenner stuns in ivory single-armed mini dress, flaunts her toned figure at LA FWRD pop-up event
With her dark, lustrous hair pulled back into a sleek ponytail, Kendall Jenner opted for transparent mid-heel sandals, accentuating her long legs
2023-06-10 15:48

How tall is Leonardo DiCaprio? 'Inception' star is often perceived as shorter than his real height
Leonardo DiCaprio’s height comfortably makes him taller than most other Hollywood leading men
2023-08-28 18:21

Ukraine war – live: Exiled Wagner boss Prigozhin ‘back in Russia weeks after failed mutiny’
Exiled Wagner boss Yevgeny Prigozhin is back in Russia weeks after his failed mutiny. Having brokered a deal last month, Belarusian President Alexander Lukashenko told reporters on Thursday: “As for Prigozhin, he’s in St Petersburg. He is not on the territory of Belarus.” Lukashenko had confirmed that Prigozhin had arrived in Belarus as part of the deal on 27 June. Vladimir Putin’s security chiefs previously said they had launched a criminal case against the head of the country’s mercenary forces for allegedly calling for armed mutiny. In an explosive rant on Telegram, Yevgeny Prigozhin had vowed to stop the “evil” of the Kremlin’s top brass, whom he accused of “destroying” his fighters and concocting lies to justify invading Ukraine - saying Vladimir Putin had been “deceived” by the defence ministry. The Russian president had been briefed and “necessary measures are being taken”, Moscow’s Interfax news agency said in response, citing Kremlin spokesman Dmitry Peskov. The millionaire head of private military contractor Wagner had accused his country’s defence ministry of trying to deceive society and Mr Putin with fabricated claims of Ukrainian aggression for their own personal gain. Read More Suspect in Ukraine detonates explosives at a courthouse, killing himself and wounding 2 officers Zelensky says Russia has planted explosives on Ukraine nuclear plant Ukraine and Russia trade accusations of imminent attack on Europe's largest nuclear plant.
2023-07-06 16:16

Putin’s power ‘ebbing away’ as Russian president disappears after Wagner rebellion
An attempted uprising by mercenaries has revealed cracks in Vladimir Putin’s authority, according to the US secretary of state. The mutiny by the Wagner Group, which saw its leader Yevgeny Prigozhin order his troops to march on Moscow, left the Russian president hiding from public view on Sunday after being forced into an amnesty deal. Though the astonishing revolt was short-lived – with the fighters withdrawing under the agreement that saw Mr Prigozhin exiled to Belarus – it has raised questions about Mr Putin’s grip on power. The Russian president has not commented publicly since the deal was struck to de-escalate one of the biggest challenges since he rose to power more than two decades ago. He said he was giving top priority to the conflict in Ukraine in excerpts from an interview aired by state television on Sunday, but it appeared to have been recorded before the rebellion. Speaking on Sunday, US secretary of state Anthony Blinken said the revolt was a “direct challenge of Putin’s authority”. Mr Blinken said the turmoil has weakened Mr Putin in ways that could aid Ukraine’s counteroffensive. Mr Blinken told US media: “We’ve seen more cracks emerge in the Russian facade. It is too soon to tell exactly where they go... but certainly, we have all sorts of new questions that Putin is going to have to address in the weeks and months ahead.” The Wagner Group’s forces were just 195km (120 miles) from Moscow before the rebellion was called off to avoid shedding Russian blood. Mr Prigozhin had said his “march” on Moscow was intended to remove corrupt and incompetent Russian commanders he blames for botching the war in Ukraine. Mr Prigozhin has for months accused Russian defence minister Sergei Shoigu and the chief of the general staff, Valery Gerasimov, of incompetence and of withholding ammunition from his fighters as they battled to take Bakhmut in Ukraine. This month, Mr Prigozhin defied orders to place his troops under defence ministry command. He launched the rebellion on Friday after alleging the military had killed some of his men in an airstrike – a claim denied by the defence ministry. Mr Prigozhin, 62, was seen leaving the district military headquarters in Rostov, hundreds of miles south of Moscow, late on Saturday. His whereabouts on Sunday were not known. The deal brokered by Belarus president Alexander Lukashenko also means Wagner fighters who joined the “march for justice” will face no action. In an earlier televised address on Saturday, Mr Putin said the rebellion put Russia‘s very existence under threat. “We are fighting for the lives and security of our people, for our sovereignty and independence, for the right to remain Russia, a state with a thousand-year history,” Mr Putin said, vowing punishment for those behind “an armed insurrection”. In his daily address on Sunday, Ukrainian president Volodymyr Zelensky said Mr Putin is “obviously very afraid” and is “probably hiding”, while his defence minister Oleksii Reznikov said the 36-hour mutiny shows Russian authorities are “weak”. Mr Reznikov said: “Had a phone conversation with my friend and colleague secretary of defence Lloyd J Austin III. “We talked about recent events in Russia. We agree that the Russian authorities are weak and that withdrawing Russian troops from Ukraine is the best choice for the Kremlin. Russia would be better served to address its own issues.” He added: “We also discussed the #UAarmy‘s counteroffensive and the next steps in strengthening our defence forces. Things are moving in the right direction. Ukraine will win.” Meanwhile, the Institute for the Study of War said Russia struggled to respond clearly and coherently to the threat from the Wagner Group. It said the incident has highlighted “internal security weaknesses likely due to surprise and the impact of heavy losses in Ukraine”. Commons defence committee chair Tobias Ellwood told the i newspaper: “Putin’s days are clearly numbered, he might survive the initial wound for a period of time but as Russian history shows, often it triggers a series of subsequent events that lead to the leader’s downfall. “Power is ebbing away. The Wagner Group may be neutered, Prighozin exiled, but Putin is definitely weaker and the hawks are now circling.” Read More Ukraine says Wagner’s mutiny proves Putin’s fragility – but this war ends on the battlefield US Secretary of State Antony Blinken says ‘we haven’t seen the last act’ in Russia’s Wagner rebellion Russia-Ukraine war live: Wagner rebellion shows Putin’s power is finally cracking, US says The Body in the Woods | An Independent TV Original Documentary The harrowing discovery at centre of The Independent’s new documentary
2023-06-26 07:45

Embattled Transnet Seeks South Africa Support for Turnaround
South Africa’s embattled state-owned freight-rail and ports company identified areas that require immediate state support in a turnaround
2023-10-16 17:49

Ukraine Recap: Navy Designates Black Sea Routes Amid Threat
Ukraine’s navy designated temporary Black Sea routes for trade vessels willing to navigate waters endangered by Russia’s military.
2023-08-11 00:28

Italy Avoids Moody’s Downgrade in Boost for Meloni
Italy won’t lose its investment-grade status at Moody’s Investors Service for now after the company chose not to
2023-05-22 17:55

South Africa plans law change over Putin ICC arrest warrant
Pretoria wants the power to decide whether to detain leaders wanted by the International Criminal Court.
2023-05-31 04:17
You Might Like...

Asia Stocks to Fall as US Shares, Treasuries Drop: Markets Wrap

Nepal to ban TikTok, alleges damaging social impact

Fox News debate moderators didn't mention Trump for nearly an hour. It wasn't an accident

US Senate looks at cannabis banking reform, but industry says it's not enough

A fire at a wedding hall in northern Iraq kills at least 100 people and injures 150 more

Delaware Congresswoman Lisa Blunt Rochester announces bid for US Senate

Portugal is starting the atoning process for clergy sex abuse. Here's what other countries have done

Red Rocks Amphitheater hail storm injures nearly 100 ahead of planned Louis Tomlinson concert