
Is Lolita's mother still alive? Family of late Orca held captive in Miami Seaquarium for 5 decades was last seen in 2022
At the time, Orca Rescues Foundation said that Lolita's mother was 93
2023-08-19 15:21

Russian-American journalist charged in Russia with failing to register as a foreign agent
A Russian-American journalist working for a U.S. government-funded media company has been detained in Russia and charged with failing to register as a foreign agent
2023-10-19 17:29

S&P, Nasdaq fall as Apple drags, jobless claims data fuels rate jitters
By Shristi Achar A and Amruta Khandekar The S&P 500 and Nasdaq fell on Thursday with Apple leading
2023-09-07 22:29

Anger as security guard avoids charges despite video showing him shooting dead transgender activist
The San Francisco district attorney has released the surveillance footage that showed the fatal shooting of a 24-year-old transgender activist accused of shoplifting by a Walgreens security guard. The video was released on Monday following a public outcry after it was announced that the district attorney won't file charges against the guard, identified as Michael Earl-Wayne Anthony. The footage shows the guard assaulting unarmed Banko Brown on 27 April before fatally shooting him outside a downtown Walgreens. Brown was a budding community organiser known for helping Black transgender youth and reportedly struggled with homelessness. Last week, the board of supervisors unanimously approved a resolution urging district attorney Brooke Jenkins's office to release more evidence. She cited self-defence in her decision not to charge the guard. The video, which does not have sound, shows Brown heading for the door with a bag in his hand when he is intercepted by the guard. He then pushes and repeatedly punches Brown in the head before pinning him to the ground. The scuffle continues when after a point, the guard lifts Brown into the air. When Mr Anthony lets Brown go, he picks up the bag and moves to exit the store. He turns around and appears to step toward Mr Anthony, at which point the guard lifts his gun and shoots once, sending Brown falling back onto the ground. Mr Anthony, who was initially arrested and later released, told the police that he asked Brown to put the items back, but Brown was aggressive and fought to keep them. He said he told Brown he would let him go if he calmed down, and that Brown kept saying he was going to stab him. However, a knife was not found on Brown. Mr Anthony argued that he let Brown go, but he drew his gun and kept it pointed at the ground just in case Brown attacked. He said he shot when Brown advanced. The case was discharged by the district attorney on 1 May. The guard in interviews also misgendered Brown, referring to him as “she” and “her”. San Francisco supervisor Shamann Walton said in a statement that the video does not show justification for the shooting. Mr Walton said he plans to join board president Aaron Peskin in calling on the state attorney general for an independent review of the prosecutor’s decision. But Ms Jenkins, who has been criticised for handling the case, said that even after seeking more evidence, there was nothing to rebut the guard’s claim of self-defense. She pleaded with viewers to review all the evidence, including witness and police reports, given that the video footage lacks sound. "There will be a temptation, as human beings, to only view the video footage of this incident and nothing else," Ms Jenkins said. "We are accustomed to seeing videos online, and that often is what captures our attention rather than going the extra step to look deeper." Community members on Monday afternoon gathered outside Walgreens to protest against Ms Jenkins's decision to not file charges. Activists, politicians and others who reviewed the released footage of Brown’s death alleged that the video proves the security guard did not act in self-defence as suggested by the district attorney. Demonstrators with banners that read ”Justice for Banko Brown” demanded that Ms Jenkins press charges against the guard. "I was sad, but now I'm mad. I'm so mad. He was on the way to the centre the day he died," Tumani Drew, a friend of Brown's, told The San Francisco Standard. "All we know is that Banko was leaving the store. Anthony had no right to take his life." Brown worked as a community organiser for the Young Women’s Freedom Center – a nonprofit that provides support for young women and trans youths. "We do not need to see the video to know that Banko Brown’s killing was unjustified. Armed force is not a justified response to poverty,” said Julia Arroyo, the centre’s co-executive director. "We must live with the sobering reality that he was killed for no other cause but $14." Read More Transgender woman jailed for rape sent to male prison Payback? Project funds axed after Kansas lawmaker defies governor on abortion, trans rights Wave of anti-transgender bills in Republican-led states divides US faith leaders
2023-05-16 12:45

Low levels of radioactive tritium may be near the Mississippi River after an energy company's leak
Groundwater containing low levels of radioactive material may have reached the edge of the Mississippi River
2023-07-22 00:52

Spanish Church sexual abuse affected 200,000 children, commission finds
The country's first in-depth public inquiry into abuse linked to the Catholic Church presents its findings.
2023-10-28 02:24

Belarus Red Cross says it helped deport Ukrainian children to Belarus
The head of the Belarusian Red Cross has sparked an international outcry with his announcement that the organization is involved in the relocation of Ukrainian children from Russian-occupied areas to Belarus, a stark admission that potentially could make the group complicit in what Ukraine says is a war crime.
2023-07-20 23:58

'Mama June' star Pumpkin gets trolled online as she posts job for Sisters Closet requiring 'overtime'
'Mama June' star Pumpkin posted a job opening in her venture Sisters Closet
2023-11-16 10:28

Stock market today: Wall Street drifts ahead of Fed, inflation data
Wall Street is ticking higher ahead of a big week for central banks and interest rates around the world
2023-06-12 21:48

Two Nigerian hackers accused of targeting American children in ‘sextortion’ plot plead not guilty
Two Nigerian hackers accused of targeting American children in an elaborate sexual extortion plot that led to 17-year-old Jordan DeMay’s death have pleaded not guilty to several charges, U.S. Attorney Mark Totten announced. Samuel Ogoshi, 22, and Samson Ogoshi, 20, of Lagos, Nigeria, were extradited to the US this week and were arraigned the next day on four counts, including charges that carry a maximum penalty of life in prison. The Ogoshi brothers were formally advised of the charges against them and entered not guilty pleas on 17 August. The charges stem from DeMay’s in March 2022, after being gripped by fear that his nude photos would be shared with the world. The exchange that led to the tragedy was initiated by three men far across the Atlantic posing as a woman on Instagram. The trio, who American prosecutors have since identified as Nigerian brothers Samuel and Samson Ogoshi, and Ezekiel Ejehem Robert, allegedly convinced the minor to send the explicit photos and then blackmailed him for $1,000. US Attorney Mark Totten said: ‘Today’s hearing is another step forward in the judicial process following the successful extradition of the Ogoshi brothers from Nigeria to the United States last Sunday.’ ‘My office is fully prepared to present the facts of the case during a fair trial.’ Read More A teen dead and two Nigerians extradited for sextortion. How a horror night on Instagram killed Jordan DeMay Two Nigerian brothers charged in sextortion that led to American teen’s suicide plead not guilty
2023-08-19 00:18

Census Bureau valiantly conducted 2020 census, but privacy method degraded quality, report says
A new report says the U.S. Census Bureau’s career staffers valiantly conducted the 2020 census under unprecedented challenges from the COVID-19 pandemic
2023-10-04 01:16

ECB’s Holzmann Says Rate Cut in Second Quarter Would be Too Soon
The European Central Bank won’t cut interest rates in the second quarter, Governing Council member Robert Holzmann said,
2023-11-17 19:17
You Might Like...

Zimbabwe Stops Short of Free-Floating Currency in Exchange Rate Battle

Kroy Biermann accuses ‘RHOA’ alum Kim Zolciak of kidnapping their son amid couple’s messy divorce

'I'm one of most famous men alive': Andrew Tate reveals his version of 'perfect' life

Armenia's leader snubs meeting of Russia-dominated security grouping over a rift with the Kremlin

Labour’s Reeves Pledges Investment Despite Perilous UK Finances

Did Leslie Fhima win 'The Golden Bachelor'? Fans believe contestant in background of Gerry Turner's interview 'looks like her'

The Supreme Court won't allow Florida to enforce its new law targeting drag shows during appeal

Who is Ali Wentworth? 'GMA' host George Stephanopoulos' wife shares sweet Father's Day tribute to him