Torrential rail triggers deadly South Korea flooding
Thousands of people have been affected by evacuation orders - and the military is helping with rescues.
2023-07-15 13:21
Police arrest 3 in connection with shooting of far-right Spanish politician
Three people were arrested Tuesday in connection with the shooting of a Spanish right-wing politician earlier this month. Alejandro Vidal-Quadras, 78, was shot in the face in broad daylight on a Madrid street on Nov. 9. He remains hospitalized. The National Police force’s press department said two suspects were detained in southern Spain’s city of Lanjaron and the third in the city of Fuengirola. The department declined to provide more details. Spanish state news agency EFE and other media outlets said none of the three was suspected of having fired the shot that hit Vidal-Quadras, who helped Spain's far-right Vox party. The National Court is investigating the shooting as a possible terrorist attack. Police told The Associated Press earlier this month that Vidal-Quadras had raised the possibility he was targeted because of his ties with Iran's political opposition. Investigators were exploring a potential Iranian link but so far have no found evidence of one, police told the AP. Vidal-Quadras has been aligned for decades with the Iranian opposition in exile. In January, Iran’s Foreign Ministry imposed sanctions on him and others with ties to the exiled opposition group known as the Mujahedeen-e-Khalq, accusing them of “supporting terrorism and terrorist groups.” EFE said the two people arrested in Lanjaron were a Spanish man and his partner, a British woman. A man detained in Fuéngirola, also a Spaniard, was was arrested in connection with a motorbike used in the shooting, the news agency reported. Vidal-Quadras was an important member of Spain’s conservative Popular Party and also a European Parliament member before he helped found Vox. He has not been active in politics for several years but maintained a public role as a media commentator and columnist. Read More US court denies woman's appeal of Cristiano Ronaldo's 2010 hush-money settlement in Vegas rape case Fund to compensate developing nations for climate change is unfinished business at COP28 Accuser sues Bill Cosby for alleged abuse dating to 1980s under expiring New York survivors law
2023-11-22 12:25
Arizona man on death row for 29 years is released after conviction for girl’s murder is thrown out
An Arizona man who was convinced and sentenced to death in the death of a four-year-old was released from prison on Thursday (15 June) after serving 29 years in prison. Barry Lee Jones, 64, was accused of murder, child abuse and sexual assault in the death of his girlfriend’s daughter, Rachel Gray, in 1994. For nearly 30 years, Mr Jones has maintained his innocence that he did not sexually assault or kill her. Now, after a years-long appeal process, a Pima County judge ordered Mr Jones’s release after approving a deal that Mr Jones’s defence team struck with prosecutors who said a medical re-examination of the case didn’t support a finding that Mr Jones caused the girl’s injury. Mr Jones pled guilty to second-degree murder. The Arizona Attorney General’s Office said evidence supported that because Mr Jones was caring for Rachel at the time, allowing her to die as a result of her injuries. “After almost 30 years on death row for a crime he did not commit, Barry Jones is finally coming home,” Cary Sandman, a federal public defender who represented Mr Jones for over 20 years said as reported by the Arizona Republic. The case In early May 1994, Mr Jones drove his girlfriend, Angela Gray and her four-year-old daughter to a Tuscon hospital, where the child was pronounced dead upon arrival. Mr Jones had been living with his daughter, Ms Gray and her three daughters for approximately three months at the time of the incident in a trailer park in Tuscon. Doctors noted the young child had bruises covering her body and a cut on her head. An autopsy showed that Rachel’s death was caused by a small bowel laceration due to “blunt abdominal trauma” according to an investigation from The Intercept. Immediately fingers were pointed at Mr Jones and Ms Gray. Mr Jones reportedly said Rachel was injured while on his watch the day before but it was not his doing. The young girl had hit her head after falling from his parked work van. The four-year-old told Mr Jones a little boy pushed her out of the van and hit her in the stomach with a metal bar. However, the key witnesses comprised of eight-year-old twins and Rachel’s 10-year-old sister, claimed they may have seen Mr Jones hitting Rachel. Mr Jones was arrested and charged with child abuse as well as the murder and sexual assault of Rachel. He was found guilty by a jury in April 1995. However, in Mr Jones’s appeals, it is noted that the jury did not receive all of the information related to the case – like evidence that alleged Ms Gray had been abusive toward her children and potential predators interacted with Rachel. The appeal Mr Jones’s first appealed in 1997 but the Arizona Supreme Court upheld the conviction. He tried to appeal again in 2008, this time federally, but it was denied. Finally, in 2014, Mr Jones’s case was remanded to a federal district judge after new evidence emerged about the young boy who hit Rachel in the stomach with a metal bar. The federal judge called for Mr Jones’s release in a July 2018 ruling, concluding Jones’ earlier lawyer had failed to adequately investigate whether the girl’s injuries were suffered during the time she was alone with him. Experts testified that Rachel may have been injured earlier. The judge’s ruling was upheld by an appeals court, though Jones remained in prison. But the US Supreme Court reversed the decision a year ago, with Justice Clarence Thomas saying the federal courts are generally barred from taking in new evidence of ineffective assistance of counsel that could help prisoners. With Mr Jones still behind bars, his attorneys struck a deal with prosecutors for his release. Under the agreement, once his convictions and death sentence were thrown out, Mr Jones pleaded guilty to a second-degree murder charge in connection with his failure to seek medical care for the girl. He was sentenced to 25 years in prison and will be given credit for time served. Now that Jones’ death sentence has been thrown out, Arizona has 110 people on its death row. Read More Arizona woman alleges sexual assault by Trevor Bauer; he denies allegation and countersues Australian man sentenced to 9 years in prison for gay American's 1988 manslaughter US Marine among two men arrested for firebombing California Planned Parenthood Heather Mack’s mother told police she feared her daughter would kill her. They were powerless to prevent it Woman accused of murdering husband ‘pushed him’ while holding knife, jury told
2023-06-17 01:55
Photographs documented US Sen. Dianne Feinstein's groundbreaking career in politics
SAN FRANCISCO (AP) — U.S. Sen. Dianne Feinstein’s groundbreaking career in politics was documented in photos from the moment she was sworn in as San Francisco mayor in the aftermath of tragedy to her long-awaited return to the U.S. Senate after illness earlier this year.
2023-10-05 08:15
Gwen Stefani shocks fans with 'The Voice' return, leaves them puzzled as Blake Shelton exits
Gwen Stefani has revealed she is returning to 'The Voice' as a coach this fall - even though after her husband Blake Shelton quitting the show
2023-05-18 23:18
'Just shake it off Travis!' Internet hilariously claims NFL will ban turf if Travis Kelce injury means Taylor Swift won't attend games
Travis Kelce and Taylor Swift's rumored relationship has taken the internet by storm with people constantly making jokes about it
2023-10-09 14:15
Muhammad Ali's daughter Laila Ali criticizes Logan Paul's Prime Hydration: 'Tag your friends who drink these'
PRIME has been under controversies for various reasons in last few months
2023-10-08 15:25
Shell's renewables boss to leave after CEO strategy shift
By Ron Bousso LONDON (Reuters) -Shell's head of renewable generation Thomas Brostrom is leaving the company, a spokesperson said on
2023-06-30 20:57
Abortion providers sue Alabama to block prosecution over out-of-state travel
By Brendan Pierson (Reuters) -Healthcare providers and an abortion rights group on Monday sued Alabama in an effort to block
2023-08-01 03:24
Federal prosecutors file criminal charges against New York congressman George Santos, report says
Federal prosecutors have filed criminal charges against George Santos, the Republican congressman whose campaign was littered with falsehoods about his past, CNN reported. Mr Santos is expected to appear on Wednesday at a federal court in New York’s Eastern District, where the charges have been filed, the network reported, citing three sources familiar with the matter. CBS also reported that charges had been filed. The exact charges have not yet been revealed, but Mr Santos was reportedly under investigation by the Justice Department for his campaign finances. The charges represent a rapid rise and fall for a man his own constituents decried as an “imposter.” Mr Santos was elected to represent New York’s third congressional district in November 2022, defeating Democrat Robert Zimmerman by a margin of 54 per cent to 46 per cent. Soon after that victory, it emerged that Mr Santos had lied about much of his personal history and work experience. A New York Times investigation found that he had lied about working for Citigroup and Goldman Sachs, lied about the college he attended, fabricated an animal charity, that the company from which he had earned a salary of $750,000 and dividends of $1m did not have any online presence, lied about saying he lost four employees in the Pulse nightclub shooting in Orlando, Florida, in 2016, and that he faced criminal charges in Brazil for cheque fraud. A local pressure group started by local citizens was formed with the aim of forcing Mr Santos from office. They held regular protests outside his campaign office and called on Republican leaders to expel him from Congress. Republican House majority leader Kevin McCarthy refused to hold a vote to expel Mr Santos, but the GOP leader said he would likely face a probe by the House Ethics Committee. Following the news of criminal charges on Tuesday, Mr McCarthy told CNN: “I’ll look at the charges.” Since Mr Santos was sworn into office in January, revelations about his past have continued to emerge. The most recent report found that Mr Santos was charged with writing bad checks to purchase puppies from Amish farmers in 2017. Mr Santos, 34, has apologised for what he described as “résumé embellishment,” but has refused to resign. The Independent contacted New York’s Eastern District for comment. Read More In George Santos’s district, setting of The Great Gatsby, cries of ‘imposter’ abound
2023-05-10 06:30
At Paris summit, World Bank lays out plans to tackle natural disasters
By Leigh Thomas and John Irish PARIS (Reuters) -The World Bank chief will announce a raft of measures on Thursday
2023-06-22 16:49
Is Lamar Odom OK? Former NBA star's Mercedes smashed up in multi-car collision
Lamar Odam emerged from the accident unharmed and did not require medical assistance
2023-09-17 21:25
You Might Like...
Taliban orders beauty salons in Afghanistan to close despite UN concern and rare public protest
Communities across New England picking up after a spate of tornadoes
After Beatles, AI to bring Edith Piaf voice back to life for biopic
Verstappen armed with upgrades in pursuit of Hungarian triumph
Kansas' attorney general wants to keep trans people from intervening in his lawsuit over state IDs
Patrick Mahomes, Mikaela Shiffrin win top athlete honors at The ESPYS
Is Nate Diaz vegan? Joe Rogan addresses rumors about UFC legend's diet, dubbing it 'nonsense'
N3on slams Andrew Tate over criticism about partying with women, accuses him of ‘human trafficking’ in angry rant
