
Slain woman's sister says Pennsylvania fugitive transformed from a kind neighbor into a jealous and threatening boyfriend
Before he brutally killed his girlfriend in front of her children two years ago in Pennsylvania, Danelo Souza Cavalcante seemed like a positive match -- a fellow Brazilian who was a good neighbor and kind -- the girlfriend's sister says.
2023-09-07 12:29

'You're lazy': 'Mama June' star Pumpkin receives backlash for 'vibing' with children in 'messy' house
Recently, Pumpkin sparked controversy after she was spotted packing junk food for her 5-year-old daughter Ella
2023-09-12 11:48

Jury rejects lawsuit after police fatally shoot man when going to wrong house
A federal court jury in Oxford, Mississippi, has ruled against a civil lawsuit filed by the widow of a man who was shot dead in 2017 by two police officers, while serving a warrant at the wrong address. Claudia Linares was seeking $20m in compensation for the death of her husband Ismael Lopez, 41. During the four-day trial that concluded on Thursday 15 September, the jury ruled that Southaven officers, Zachary Durden and Samuel Maze, did not violate Lopez’s civil rights. “The verdict was that the jurors did not believe that the use of force used by Officers Durden and Maze was excessive in light of all the facts that they considered,” Murray Wells, the attorney for Lopez’s family, said in a statement to WREG-TV. The case had previously attracted attention because the city tried to argue that Lopez did not have any civil rights as he was living illegally in the US and was facing deportation and criminal charges for the illegal possession of firearms. However, in 2020, a judge rejected the city’s claim, and ruled that constitutional rights apply to “all persons.” The Mississippi Bureau of Investigation reported that on 14 July 2017, Lopez and his wife were in bed when officers knocked on their door with the intention of serving a domestic violence warrant to a person who actually lived across the street. According to Mr Durden and Mr Maze, the pair did not identify themselves, and when the door opened, Lopez’s dog ran out and he pointed a rifle through the door. Officer Maze then shot the dog and Mr Durden fired multiple bullets at Lopez. He died after a bullet hit the back of his skull when he was six feet from his front door. Police have claimed he was running away from law enforcement, and a third office later told investigators that Mr Durden had ordered Lopez to drop his rifle several times before shooting him. Lopez’s lawyers stated in their argument that his fingerprints and DNA were not found on the rifle supposedly used to fire at Mr Durden, but believe the officer shot him in reaction to his colleague shooting the dog. They also called upon evidence that state investigators found his body lying in a prone position with his hands cuffed behind his back. There is no video footage to corroborate either claim. “Those officers used tactical maneuvers to hide themselves as police officers,” Mr Wells told WREG. “There are a couple of huge factors at play. One was this unbelievable mistake of going to the wrong address and we felt it was just incompetent because they didn’t even take the time to look at the boxes. They went to the wrong side of the road, so that started this. They never announced that they were police and at the end of the day Ismael Lopez was shot through a door, in the back of the head,” he said. Darren Musselwhite, mayor of Southhaven, praised the jury’s decision: “This verdict proves what we’ve believed to be correct since day one as our officers responded appropriately considering the circumstance of being threatened with deadly force,” he said. “We’ve stood behind them during the last six years for this very reason and, for their sake, are glad this trial is over.” Read More Police officer who fatally shot motorist charged with murder Philadelphia officer to be fired over shooting death of Black man as new video contradicts police account A Utah man was killed during a police traffic stop. His family say they’ve been ‘stonewalled’ by authorities
2023-09-19 02:55

Full list of possible charges against Hunter Biden that could see him jailed for 10 years
Special counsel David Weiss informed a federal judge in Delaware about the prosecution's intention to present the case to a grand jury
2023-09-07 16:46

Trump lawyers move 'insurrection' clause lawsuit aiming to bar him from the ballot to federal court
Attorneys for former President Donald Trump have moved a lawsuit seeking to bar him from running again for the White House from state to federal court
2023-09-09 03:45

Barack Obama slammed for 'politicizing' Titan sub tragedy with comments on Greece ship catastrophe
Barack Obama's critics are calling him 'a lying faker' after he drew attention to the disparity in coverage the two tragedies have received
2023-06-23 16:54

Israeli forces kill at least 8 Palestinians in surging West Bank violence, health officials say
Health officials say Israeli forces operating in the occupied West Bank killed at least eight Palestinians in a 24-hour period
2023-11-26 16:47

Ukraine says Russia lost ‘top’ navy commanders in Sevastopol missile strike
Ukraine says its missile strike on the headquarters of Russia’s Black Sea fleet in Crimea successfully targeted a meeting of senior naval officials, with “top” commanders among “dozens of dead and wounded”. Kyiv launched the missile attack on the fleet based in the port city of Sevastopol in occupied Crimea on Friday morning. Ukrainian officials said the attack, targeting what is believed to be the best of Russia’s navy, was timed to coincide with the naval commanders’ meeting. On Saturday morning, it followed this up with another missile attack on Sevastopol, according to a local Russian-installed official. It wasn’t immediately clear whether the attack resulted in any deaths or injuries but in a statement on Saturday, the Ukrainian military said the Friday attack had left “dozens of dead and wounded occupiers, including the top management of the fleet”. Ukraine’s intelligence chief, Kyrylo Budanov, told Voice of America on Saturday that at least nine people were killed and 16 injured as a result of Kyiv’s attack on the Black Sea Fleet on Friday. He claimed that Alexander Romanchuk, a Russian general commanding forces along the key southeastern front line, was “in a very serious condition” following the attack. The Russian defence ministry initially said that Friday’s strike killed one service member at the Black Sea Fleet headquarters, but later issued a statement that he was missing. The Ukrainian military said the air force conducted 12 strikes on the Black Sea Fleet headquarters, targeting areas where personnel, military equipment and weapons were concentrated. It said two anti-aircraft missile systems and four Russian artillery units were hit. Crimea has served as the key hub supporting Moscow’s invasion of Ukraine. Sevastopol, the main base of Russia’s Black Sea Fleet since the 19th century, has had a particular importance for navy operations since the start of the invasion of Ukraine. Ukraine has increasingly targeted naval facilities in Crimea in recent weeks while the brunt of its summer counteroffensive makes slow gains in the east and south of Ukraine, the Institute for the Study of War said. Military experts say it is essential for Ukraine to keep up its attacks on targets in Crimea to degrade Russian morale and weaken its military. Additional reporting by agencies Read More Ukraine-Russia war - live: Kyiv inflicting ‘hell’ on Russian lines as counter-offensive escalates A Ukrainian train is a lifeline connecting the nation's capital with the front line Pope blames weapons industry for Russia-Ukraine war and 'martyrdom' of Ukrainian people
2023-09-24 13:47

Becky G proudly shows her roots in 'Esquinas,' inspired by regional Mexican music
Growing up on the border between Mexico and the United States, Becky G spoke English, but sang corridos, boleros and mariachi in Spanish
2023-09-30 21:22

US plans second summit with Pacific island leaders in September
WASHINGTON (Reuters) -U.S. President Joe Biden will host a second summit with leaders of Pacific island nations in September, Joseph
2023-07-21 05:26

Top US general Mark Milley to hand over reins after four years
WASHINGTON Top U.S. general Mark Milley will retire on Friday after a four-year tenure that saw successes like
2023-09-29 22:19

Video shows high school band director shocked with stun gun, arrested after refusing to stop music
Police body camera video shows an Alabama high school band director being shocked with a stun gun and arrested by officers in front of screaming students, in a chaotic scuffle that broke out after he refused to immediately stop the band as it played in the bleachers following a football game
2023-09-20 07:17
You Might Like...

Matthew Purdy: Gunman who randomly killed former college footballer Wes Smith says he would have shot others too

U.N. meeting debates aviation emissions goal through cleaner fuels

Wife of ex-Alaska Airlines pilot says she's in shock after averted Horizon Air disaster

Dozens of dangerous rail crossings will be eliminated with $570 million in grants

Malaysian Prime Minister Anwar faces crucial test of support in state polls next month

EU lawmakers approve legislation to make batteries greener

India, Taiwan Tourists Can Enter Thailand Without Visa For Next Six Months

Olivia Dunne inks exciting partnership with sports collectibles firm Leaf Trading Cards following gymnastics hiatus