J3N Provides the Latest and Most Up-to-Date News, You Can Stay Informed and Connected to the World.
⎯ 《 Just 3 N : New News Now 》
Senate Democrats plan to subpoena Harlan Crow and Leonard Leo over Supreme Court justices' travel
Senate Democrats plan to subpoena Harlan Crow and Leonard Leo over Supreme Court justices' travel
Senate Democrats say they will subpoena Republican megadonor Harlan Crow and conservative activist Leonard Leo for more information about their roles in organizing and paying for luxury travel for Supreme Court justices
2023-10-31 11:24
Factbox-US House Republicans eye Scalise, Jordan for possible next speaker
Factbox-US House Republicans eye Scalise, Jordan for possible next speaker
WASHINGTON Republicans in the U.S. House of Representatives on Wednesday could begin voting on a new speaker to
2023-10-11 18:24
How tall is Chris Pratt? Actor's imposing stature is the reason he was chosen to play Peter Quill in Marvel movies
How tall is Chris Pratt? Actor's imposing stature is the reason he was chosen to play Peter Quill in Marvel movies
There is a reason why Chris Pratt was chosen for the lead character of Peter Quill in the 'Guardians of the Galaxy' film series
2023-09-14 15:25
Wagner succession: Yevgeny Prigozhin’s son set to be next mercenary boss
Wagner succession: Yevgeny Prigozhin’s son set to be next mercenary boss
The 25-year-old son of Yevgeny Prigozhin is set to take over from his father and become the next boss of the Wagner group. Pavel Prigozhin appears to be inheriting the vast majority of his father’s riches – including the mercenary group, properties, and about £100 million – according to a photograph posted on social media of what seems to be Prigozhin’s will. He is now negotiating with the Russian national guard, Rosgvardia, over having the mercenary organisation rejoin combat in Ukraine, the Institute for the Study of War said. It wrote in a report on Russia on Sunday: “A prominent Wagner-affiliated Telegram channel announced on October 1 that Yevgeny Prigozhin’s 25-year-old son Pavel Prigozhin has taken over ‘command’ of the Wagner Group, and that Pavel Prigozhin is negotiating with Rosgvardia about having the Wagner Group rejoin combat operations in Ukraine.” Once a businessman with a catering empire friendly with Vladimir Putin – Yevgeny Prigozhin was even given the nickname “Putin’s chef” – Prigozhin accumulated vast wealth before going on to found the Kremlin-allied Wagner Group, which backed up Russia’s war in Ukraine. However, in August, two months after the 62-year-old led his private militia in a failed rebellion against his country’s military leadership, he died in a plane crash just outside Moscow. The cause of the incident is still yet to be established. Now, a document shared on a Telegram channel, which has not been independently verified, suggests Prigozhin had a will that was notarised on 2 March and bequeathed most of his inheritance to his son. According to The Times, it reads: “All my property . . . as well as property that may be acquired by me in the future I bequeath to Pavel Evgenyevich Prigozhin.” Alongside the Wagner Group, Pavel is set to inherit around £100 million, a three-storey house in St Petersburg, nine joint stock companies and shares in Concord, and the catering empire, according to the document. The 25-year-old already “plays various roles in Prigozhin’s business enterprises” that benefit from “his favoured status within Russia’s elite”, the Financial Times reported the US said last year. Among these is a Russian company called Lakhta Plaza, which, according to corporate filings, Pavel has controlled. Lakhta Plaza was sanctioned by the US in March 2022 and has shared an auditor and telephone number with other Russian companies that the US and EU for being fronts for Wagner. Pavel has also fought with Wagner in Syria, according to his father’s social media posts, and was awarded the group’s “black cross”, which is its own recognition for military service. There are hopes among loyalists that Pavel will continue the legacy of his father if he takes command of the mercenary group, according to a New York Times investigation this month. The 25-year-old already controls multiple companies and luxury real estate complexes in St Petersburg, according to the US Treasury in March. He has also been sanctioned by a number of countries, including Canada, the US and the UK. If Pavel dies, the inheritance is due to go to Prigozhin’s widow, Lyubov, Pavel’s two sisters and the Wagner chief’s grandson, according to the document – with the paper indicating that the grandson is Pavel’s child, although this has not been independently verified. In the meantime, Pavel is said to have to provide for the family, including his grandmother Violetta, under the terms of the will. Pavel reportedly said last month that he accepted the will and its “parameters” – although the Russian security services-linked Telegram channel VChK-OGPU has suggested it is already being contested amid a conflict that has erupted within the family. On Sunday, Pavel and Violetta laid flowers at Prigozhin’s grave in the former imperial capital of St Petersburg together. The pair were among dozens of mourners hailing the mutinous mercenary chief as a patriotic hero of Russia who had spoken truth to power. Supporters waved the black flags of Wagner which sport a skull and the motto "Blood, Honour, Motherland, Courage". The Russian opposition activist Alexei Navalny’s Anti-Corruption Foundation has suggested Prigozhin’s wealth could come to as much as two trillion roubles, although his official wealth has been estimated at 14.6 billion. Despite years of Western sanctions, a Financial Times investigation found Prigozhin generated revenues of more than a quarter of a billion dollars from his global natural resources empire in the four years before Russia invaded Ukraine. Since its formation, Wagner has been accused of committing human rights abuses in Syria, Libya, the Central African Republic, Sudan, Mali, Mozambique and most recently Ukraine. Read More Ukraine-Russia war – live: Children injured in Kherson shelling as Prigozhin son tipped to be next Wagner boss Putin orders former Wagner commander to take charge of 'volunteer units' in Ukraine Putin recruits former Wagner commander ‘Grey Hair’ Troshev to oversee Ukraine mercenaries The Body in the Woods | An Independent TV Original Documentary The harrowing discovery at centre of The Independent’s new documentary
2023-10-02 19:16
Analysis-Partnering with Coinbase could hinder bid for bitcoin ETF approval
Analysis-Partnering with Coinbase could hinder bid for bitcoin ETF approval
By John McCrank and Michelle Price WASHINGTON Partnering with Coinbase Global may hinder rather than help Nasdaq's bid
2023-07-13 18:25
Youth climate lawsuit attorneys say Montana tried to scuttle trial by dropping energy policy
Youth climate lawsuit attorneys say Montana tried to scuttle trial by dropping energy policy
Attorneys for a group of youths suing Montana over damages caused by climate change say officials repealed the state’s energy policy to avoid an upcoming trial
2023-05-12 12:27
Bluffing or not, Putin’s declared deployment of nuclear weapons to Belarus raises tensions
Bluffing or not, Putin’s declared deployment of nuclear weapons to Belarus raises tensions
Sometime this summer, if President Vladimir Putin can be believed, Russia moved some of its short-range nuclear weapons into Belarus, closer to Ukraine and onto the doorstep of NATO’s members in Central and Eastern Europe
2023-07-27 19:27
Clergy dish up meatball sundaes, pickle ice pops and a little faith at the Minnesota State Fair
Clergy dish up meatball sundaes, pickle ice pops and a little faith at the Minnesota State Fair
Faith has a deep-rooted presence at the Minnesota State Fair, from the decades-old Lutheran and Methodist dining halls to an evangelical chapel handing out thousands of free Bibles to a booth seeking to combat misinformation about Islam
2023-08-31 20:27
US Supreme Court sides with man who sent female musician barrage of unwanted messages
US Supreme Court sides with man who sent female musician barrage of unwanted messages
By John Kruzel WASHINGTON (Reuters) -The U.S. Supreme Court on Tuesday threw out the stalking conviction of a Colorado man
2023-06-28 01:28
Russia-Ukraine war live: ‘Countdown has started’ for Putin as Kramatorsk restaurant death toll rises
Russia-Ukraine war live: ‘Countdown has started’ for Putin as Kramatorsk restaurant death toll rises
The “countdown has started” for the end of Vladimir Putin, Volodymr Zelensky’s top aide has claimed, as the Russian president reels from the aborted mutiny by Wagner mercenary boss Yevgeny Prigozhin. Andriy Yermak’s remarks came as Mr Zelensky accused Russia of using S-300 missiles in an attack on a restaurant in the Donetsk city of Kramatorsk which authorities say has killed eight people, three of them aged 14 to 17. Another 56 people present at the restaurant – which is frequented by journalists, aid workers and soldiers who use Kramatorsk as a base of operations – were injured, the city council in Kramatorsk said, as rescue workers continue to comb through debris for casualties. The missile attack reduced the major shopping hub to a twisted web of metal beams. One of the missiles also hit a village on the fringes of Kramatorsk, leaving five injured. The city in frontline oblast of Donetsk has been a target of Russian attacks frequently and capturing it a key objective for Moscow. Read More Putin admits Moscow paid Wagner mercenaries £800m in wages in a year – and that his forces ‘stopped civil war’ US sanctions gold companies suspected of supporting Wagner mercenaries in Russia Wagner chief walks free after armed revolt. Other Russians defying the Kremlin aren’t so lucky NATO warns not to underestimate Russian forces, and tells Moscow it has increased preparedness
2023-06-28 15:58
Déjà Vu: American golfer Lilia Vu captures 2nd major in 2023 at Women's British Open
Déjà Vu: American golfer Lilia Vu captures 2nd major in 2023 at Women's British Open
American golfer Lilia Vu has won the Women’s British Open to claim her second major title of 2023
2023-08-14 01:50
UN children's chief: Youngsters in Haiti need aid and face `staggering levels' of gender violence
UN children's chief: Youngsters in Haiti need aid and face `staggering levels' of gender violence
The head of the U.N. children's agency says close to half of Haiti’s people need humanitarian aid
2023-06-30 13:19