J3N Provides the Latest and Most Up-to-Date News, You Can Stay Informed and Connected to the World.
⎯ 《 Just 3 N : New News Now 》
Serbia's populist leader denounces planned Belgrade bridge blockade after shootings
Serbia's populist leader denounces planned Belgrade bridge blockade after shootings
Serbia's populist leader has sharply denounced opposition plans to block a key bridge and motorway in Belgrade on Friday to press their demands in the wake of last week's mass shootings in the Balkan country that left 17 people dead, including many children. President Aleksandar Vucic said that the planned opposition protest later on Friday amounted to “violence in politics” and “harassment” of citizens. But, Vucic said, police would not intervene to prevent it “unless people's lives are in danger.” “What gives them the right to block other people's normal lives?” said Vucic, adding that the opposition were “abusing the tragedy” following the shootings that deeply rattled the nation and triggered calls for change. “They are harassing citizens and not allowing them to travel,” Vucic insisted. “But we don't like to beat protesters, like France and Germany do.” The rally on Friday comes a week after thousands marched in Belgrade. They were demanding the resignations of government ministers and the withdrawal of broadcast licenses for two private TV stations which are close to the state and promote violence. They often host convicted war criminals and crime figures on their programs. Protests with the same demands have been held in the past week in various cities and towns in Serbia. Opposition officials said the bridge blockade in Belgrade on Friday evening would last for two hours. The two shootings happened in just two days, leaving 17 people dead and 21 wounded. A 13-year-old boy last Wednesday used his father's gun to open fire at his school in central Belgrade, while a day later a 20-year-old randomly fired at people in a rural area south of Belgrade. Opposition parties have said that Vucic's populist government has fueled intolerance and hate speech, while taking hold of all institutions, thus stoking divisions. Vucic has denied this. He has called his own rally for May 26 in Belgrade that he said would be the “biggest ever.” “We do not organize spontaneous rallies in order to play with people's emotions,” Vucic insisted. “Ours will be a rally of unity, when we will announce important political decisions.” Vucic also told reporters that citizens had handed in more than 9,000 weapons since police announced a one-month amnesty for people to surrender unregistered guns and ammunition or face possible prison sentences after that period. Serbia is estimated to be among the top countries in Europe when it comes to the number of guns per capita, many of them left over from the wars in the 1990s. Other anti-gun measures after the shootings include a ban on new gun licenses, stricter controls on gun owners and shooting ranges, and tougher punishments for the illegal possession of weapons. Read More Ukraine war’s heaviest fight rages in east - follow live Charity boss speaks out over ‘traumatic’ encounter with royal aide
2023-05-12 19:46
Swifties praise Rockets guard Victor Oladipo for ‘best take' on Taylor Swift and Travis Kelce’s romance
Swifties praise Rockets guard Victor Oladipo for ‘best take' on Taylor Swift and Travis Kelce’s romance
Houston Rockets guard Victor Oladipo has suggested the romance has led to Kelce's improved on-field performance
2023-10-23 19:59
Families of troops killed in Abbey Gate bombing in Afghanistan demand accountability in emotional testimony
Families of troops killed in Abbey Gate bombing in Afghanistan demand accountability in emotional testimony
Family members of the 13 US service members killed two years ago in the Abbey Gate bombing during the US withdrawal from Afghanistan demanded accountability and answers from the Biden administration on Tuesday in emotional testimony about the withdrawal and their losses.
2023-08-30 06:23
Russia-Ukraine – live: Putin may take ‘formal control’ of Wagner in wake of attempted coup
Russia-Ukraine – live: Putin may take ‘formal control’ of Wagner in wake of attempted coup
Vladimir Putin may take “formal control” of Wagner forces in Ukraine – and beyond – following of the failed rebellion by the merecenary group, a leading think tank has said. There are indications that the Kremlin are making moves towards that aim. Mr Putin has already, finally, admitted the group is paid via state funds and Sergei Vershinin, the Russian deputy foreign minister, is said to have flown to Syria – one of the other areas Wagner is active – to tell President Bashar al Assad that Wagner will no longer operate as an independent organisation in the country, the Institute for the Study of War (ISW) said. It comes after Wagner chief Yevgeny Prigozhin was told his mercenaries would no longer be fighting in Ukraine after he snubbed Russian defence ministry contracts for his fighters, according to a senior Moscow politician, Andrei Kartapolov. But the Pentagon has said Wagner is still active in Ukraine. “I would tell you is, right now, we continue to see some elements of the Wagner Group in Russian-occupied territory in Ukraine,” Pentagon press secretary Pat Ryder said. Read More Ukraine holds drills in Zaporizhzhia to prepare for radiation leaks from Russian-held nuclear plant Ukraine’s push to smash Russian defences on the battlefield: ‘Small advances have colossal meaning’ Pence makes a surprise trip to Ukraine and meets with Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelenskyy Mystery surrounds fate of Russia’s ‘General Armageddon’ in wake of Wagner mutiny
2023-06-30 17:55
Why was Andrew Garfield removed as Spider-Man? The truth behind Sony's controversial decision
Why was Andrew Garfield removed as Spider-Man? The truth behind Sony's controversial decision
While some speculated Garfield's second Spider-Man film led to his departure, an email exchange between Sony executives tells a different story
2023-06-08 17:46
Six dead in China kindergarten stabbing
Six dead in China kindergarten stabbing
Authorities said they have arrested a 25-year-old man.
2023-07-10 12:15
FDA approves first over-the-counter birth control pill in US
FDA approves first over-the-counter birth control pill in US
(Reuters) -The U.S. Food and Drug Administration on Thursday approved the first over-the-counter contraceptive pill, paving the way for millions
2023-07-13 21:54
IOC's Bach says key to Russian decision for Paris Olympics is athletes' respectful conduct
IOC's Bach says key to Russian decision for Paris Olympics is athletes' respectful conduct
IOC president Thomas Bach says the key factor for an ultimate decision on letting Russians participate at the 2024 Paris Olympics is the athletes' conduct at international competitions
2023-07-19 03:19
US pharmacy chain Rite Aid files for bankruptcy
US pharmacy chain Rite Aid files for bankruptcy
US pharmacy chain Rite Aid filed for bankruptcy Sunday, the company said, after suffering declining sales and legal threats over its alleged...
2023-10-16 13:22
Who is Jodi Huisentruit? 28 years on mysterious case of missing journalist still hurts loved ones
Who is Jodi Huisentruit? 28 years on mysterious case of missing journalist still hurts loved ones
Jodi Huisentruit disappeared early on the morning of June 27, 1995, on her way to work at KIMT-TV in Mason City
2023-06-27 16:50
California turns to AI to help spot wildfires
California turns to AI to help spot wildfires
By Daniel Trotta EL CAJON, California California firefighters are using artificial intelligence to help spot wildfires, feeding video
2023-08-11 18:16
Striking Hollywood actors vote to authorize new walkout against video game makers
Striking Hollywood actors vote to authorize new walkout against video game makers
Striking actors have voted to expand their walkout to include the lucrative video game market, a step that could put new pressure on Hollywood studios to make a deal with the performers who provide voices and stunts for games
2023-09-27 01:19