
Did Jimmie Johnson's mother-in-law kill her husband and grandson? 911 call sheds light on alleged murder-suicide
According to the 22-second recording, Terry Janway calmly gave her address to the dispatcher and said, 'There's somebody here with a gun'
2023-07-12 05:54

War is returning to Russia, Zelensky warns, as Moscow rocked by drone attacks
War is returning to Russia, Ukraine’s president Volodymyr Zelensky has warned, after early-morning drone attacks hit Moscow on Sunday. Although Ukraine has not claimed responsibility for the strikes, Mr Zelensky said such attacks were an inevitable and fair process of the war between the nations. Earlier on Sunday, Russia blamed Ukraine for what it called an “attempted terrorist attack by the Kyiv regime” and said three drones had targetted the capital. Its defence ministry said two buildings were damaged in the Moskva-Citi business district after being brought down using electronic jamming equipment, while another was shot down over the Odintsovo area. One of the residential buildings damaged was home to three government ministries, local media reported. Vnukovo airport on the southern outskirts of the capital was forced to temporarily close due to the attacks, according to Russia’s state news agency. Nobody was hurt, Moscow mayor Sergei Sobyanin said. It is the fourth attempt at a strike on the capital region this month and the third this week, fuelling concerns about Moscow’s vulnerability to attacks as Russia’s war in Ukraine drags on into its 18th month. President Vladimir Putin was briefed on the attempted attacks, his spokesperson said. He was in his home town of St Petersburg for meetings with African leaders and a naval celebration at the time. “On the morning of 30th July, an attempted terrorist attack by the Kyiv regime using unmanned aerial vehicles against targets in the city of Moscow was foiled,” Russia’s defence ministry said in a statement. In a video address from the western Ukrainian city of Ivano-Frankivsk, Mr Zelensky said that Ukraine was getting stronger. “Today is the 522nd day of the so-called ‘Special Military Operation’, which the Russian leadership thought would last a couple of weeks,” he said. “Gradually, the war is returning to the territory of Russia – to its symbolic centres and military bases, and this is an inevitable, natural and absolutely fair process.” A Ukrainian airforce spokesperson did not claim responsibility for the attacks but said the Russian people were seeing the consequences of Russia’s invasion of Ukraine. “All of the people who think the war ‘doesn’t concern them’ – it’s already touching them,” Yurii Ihnat told journalists. “There’s already a certain mood in Russia: that something is flying in, and loudly,” he said. “There’s no discussion of peace or calm in the Russian interior any more. They got what they wanted.” Mr Ihnat also referenced an attempted drone attack in Crimea early on Sunday – the Ukrainian territory occupied and illegally annexed by Russia in 2014. Russia’s defence ministry said it had shot down 16 Ukrainian drones and neutralised eight others through electronic jamming. No injuries or damage were reported. Mr Zelensky has vowed to take back all land Russian forces have occupied, including Crimea, and his efforts have been strengthened by the receipt and deployment of increasingly advanced Western weapons. It comes after a ramping up of Ukraine’s counteroffensive in recent weeks, with the head of Ukraine’s intelligence directorate telling Ukrainian news site TSN on Saturday that Kyiv’s forces were set to enter Crimea “soon”. In Ukraine, the airforce claimed it had destroyed four Russian drones above the Kherson and Dnipropetrovsk regions. Meanwhile, a Russian missile strike late on Saturday killed two people and wounded 20 in the city of Sumy in northeast Ukraine. The Ukrainian Interior Ministry said a four-storey college building was hit, with local authorities saying accommodation and teaching buildings were damaged in the blast and fire that followed. Read More Ukraine war – live: Putin blames Kyiv for early morning drone attacks on Moscow Volodymyr Zelensky takes selfies with soldiers during Bakhmut visit Ukraine’s newest attack on Russia? Moving Christmas Putin thanks North Korea for ‘unwavering support’ for Ukraine war The Body in the Woods | An Independent TV Original Documentary The harrowing discovery at centre of The Independent’s new documentary
2023-07-31 06:18

Mitchell Taebel: Indiana man who claimed he was Taylor Swift's 'soulmate' arrested for stalking singer
Mitchell Taebel sent Taylor Swift’s management company messages, threatening to 'destroy' them
2023-06-10 19:22

How Biden's SAVE student loan repayment plan can lower your bill
While the Supreme Court struck down President Joe Biden's student loan forgiveness program last month, a separate and significant change to the federal student loan system is moving ahead.
2023-07-12 17:15

Argentina’s Milei to Meet With Biden Team, IMF In Washington
Argentine President-elect Javier Milei arrived in the US on Monday for a trip to New York and Washington
2023-11-28 03:54

Bill that would allow French police to locate suspects by tapping their devices is up for a vote
French lawmakers are planning to vote on a justice reform bill that would allow law enforcement agents to obtain the locations of some criminal suspects by remotely tapping into digital cameras, microphones and other internet-connected devices
2023-07-18 14:26

3 charged after shooting at a South Florida Walmart kills 1 and wounds another
Authorities say three men are facing charges a day after a shooting at a South Florida Walmart left one person dead and another wounded
2023-07-21 06:59

G-7 leaders likely to focus on the war in Ukraine and tensions in Asia at summit in Hiroshima
The symbolism will be palpable when leaders of the world’s rich democracies sit down in Hiroshima later this week
2023-05-17 14:55

Madeleine McCann police start digging in woodland
Fresh searches in the disappearance of Madeleine McCann have seen police dig a concentrated area of woodland near the banks of a remote reservoir in Portugal. Personnel spent a number of hours cutting back the undergrowth of a peninsula next to the water on Wednesday, before using shovels to excavate part of the area. A large section of the Barragem do Arade has been cordoned off since Tuesday morning, around 30 miles from where the three-year-old went missing in 2007. Follow our live blog for all the latest updates Sniffer dogs and rakes have been used by uniformed and plain-clothed officers over the course of two days, before specialist forest workers used strimmers and heavy machinery to cut back the landscape. It is understood the operation will continue on Thursday. The fresh searches are being carried out at the request of German investigators who believe their prime suspect, convicted sex offender Christian Brueckner, 45, kidnapped and murdered the youngster. He is currently in prison in Germany for the rape of a woman in Praia da Luz in 2005, and is suspected of further rapes and child sexual abuse committed in the area between 2000 and 2017. German authorities have not revealed what triggered the latest search operation, but prosecutor for the city of Braunschweig Christian Wolters said they were acting on the basis of “certain tips”. He told German public broadcaster NDR: “We have indications that we could find evidence there. I don’t want to say what that is exactly, and I also don’t want to say where these indications come from. “The only thing that I would clarify is that it doesn’t come from the suspect — so we don’t have a confession or anything similar now, or an indication from the suspect of where it would make sense to search.” The Sun reported that investigators previously found photos and video of Brueckner at the reservoir. He has reportedly denied any involvement in Madeleine’s disappearance. Madeleine vanished while on holiday with her parents in Praia da Luz, after they left her and her younger twin siblings asleep in their apartment while they went out to dinner with friends. Portuguese lawyer Marcos Aragao Correia previously claimed that criminal contacts had told him that Madeleine’s body was in the reservoir, and in 2008 he raised funds for unsuccessful private searches of the water. Four teams of officers from the Portuguese Policia Judiciaria are involved in the operation, along with at least 20 of their German counterparts, Portuguese news outlet SIC said. British officers from the Metropolitan Police are also present while the work is carried out so they can inform Madeleine’s parents if there are any developments. On Tuesday, search teams were seen scouring the banks – hammering away at the ground with pickaxes and combing through small rocks with rakes and spades. Around a dozen officers with sniffer dogs were also at the site, while the fire service boat took officers onto the water. Portuguese daily Expresso said that the first day ended with no significant results, and that police had collected some objects including fabrics and garments. Madeleine’s disappearance has attracted enormous media attention since she vanished, and reporters are being kept at arm’s length around a mile away from where search activity is taking place. A no-fly zone has also been imposed over the reservoir. The new searches come as the Home Office granted an extra £110,000 in funding this financial year for the Metropolitan Police to assist with finding Madeleine, down from just over £300,000 last year. The total funding given to Operation Grange has been just under £13.1 million since 2011. Read More Madeleine McCann – latest news: Key suspect visited reservoir ‘days after disappearance’ Madeleine McCann case: Timeline of the missing child’s disappearance How much has the Madeleine McCann investigation cost? Charity boss speaks out over ‘traumatic’ encounter with royal aide Ukraine war’s heaviest fight rages in east - follow live
2023-05-25 15:51

Greek police arrest five Croatians allegedly involved in deadly soccer violence
Police in Greece have arrested five Croatian nationals allegedly involved in deadly soccer fan violence, apprehending them as they attempted to flee the country
2023-08-09 17:19

Singapore GDP Unexpectedly Expands, Avoiding Technical Recession
Singapore’s economy unexpectedly expanded in the second quarter, staving off technical recession fears in the city-state amid a
2023-07-14 08:27

China's Zhengzhou city launches property support measures
BEIJING China's Zhengzhou city has launched measures to support its property market, including easing home resale restrictions, in
2023-08-04 12:24
You Might Like...

Former Rep. Rogers expected to run for Senate seat in Michigan after being courted by GOP leaders

Naomi Campbell welcomes baby boy at 53, says 'it's never too late to become a mother'

Who is Tilda Swinton's daughter? Honor Swinton Byrne 'grateful' for nepotism that helped her land debut role alongside her mom

Putin presides over rehearsals of ‘massive’ Russian nuclear strike

Live updates | US faces tough climb to end Ryder Cup losing streak in Europe

Apollo Theater CEO Jonelle Procope to leave the historic landmark on safe financial ground

Zelenskyy to speak before Canadian Parliament in his campaign to shore up support for Ukraine

Man City seek to stop rot as Chelsea host Arsenal