
Manipur women in naked assault video ‘will not give up’
Two women in Manipur give the BBC their first face-to-face interview since being stripped and assaulted.
2023-11-10 08:48

Will Joe Rogan return to host UFC 290? Announcers line-up revealed for July 8 PPV, Internet says 'they all suck'
Joe Rogan missed UFC 289 when the organization returned to Canada for Amanda Nunes' final bout
2023-07-05 14:21

Dam supplying water to Crimea blown up in southern Ukraine
KYIV Ukraine and Russia accused each other on Tuesday of blowing up a dam and causing widespread flooding
2023-06-06 13:16

Volcanic ash from Popocatepetl temporarily shuts down Mexico City airports
Mexico City’s two main airports temporarily resumed operations after shutting down for a few hours due to ash spewing from Popocatepetl volcano, located 45 miles (72 kilometers) southeast of the country’s capital
2023-05-21 04:58

What are junk fees and how might Biden tackle them?
The president says airlines, banks, hotels and concert vendors are playing Americans "for suckers".
2023-06-16 10:20

Exxon in advanced talks for $60 billion acquisition of Pioneer - sources
By David French, Anirban Sen and Sabrina Valle (Reuters) -Exxon Mobil is in advanced talks to acquire Pioneer Natural Resources
2023-10-06 18:30

Death toll from Hawaii wildfires drops to 97- Hawaii governor
(Reuters) -The death toll from last month's wildfires on the Hawaiian island of Maui has dropped to 97 and the
2023-09-16 07:50

Special counsel proposes 2 January trial for Trump over effort to overturn 2020 election
Special Counsel Jack Smith’s office has asked the District of Columbia judge overseeing the 2020 election subversion case against former president Donald Trump to schedule the twice-impeached, thrice-indicted ex-president’s trial for a four to six week period beginning on 2 January next year. In an eight-page filing authored by Senior Assistant Special Counsels Molly Gaston and Thomas Windom, the special counsel’s office said their proposed schedule would give Mr Trump and his defence team sufficient time to prepare a case and review the evidence which the government is prepared to turn over as part of the discovery process, as well as litigate any pre-trial matters such as the request for a change of venue Mr Trump has said he will call for. The prosecutors also said that a 2 January 2024 trial date would “most importantly ... vindicate the public’s strong interest in a speedy trial,” which they described as being “of particular significance” because Mr Trump is “charged with conspiring to overturn the legitimate results of the 2020 presidential election, obstruct the certification of the election results, and discount citizens’ legitimate votes”. “A January 2, 2024, trial date represents an appropriately speedy trial in the public interest and in the interests of justice, while affording the defendant time to prepare his defense and raise pre-trial legal issues with the Court,” they said. At his arraignment one week ago, Mr Trump’s attorneys indicated that they would request significant delays and ask Judge Tanya Chutkan to stop the clock set under the Speedy Trial Act which sets out a 70-day period in which trials in criminal cases are required to begin. The ex-president’s legal strategy in both civil and criminal matters, dating back decades, is to cause as many delays as possible through any means possible. The three criminal cases against him have not proved an exception to this pattern, as Mr Trump is understood to believe his best chance at avoiding any negative consequences from the cases is to win next year’s presidential election. But the magistrate judge who presided over the arraignment, Moxila Upadhyaya, told Mr Trump’s counsel that Judge Chutkan intends to set a trial date after a status conference on 28 August, and gave the government a full week to propose a trial schedule. Mr Trump’s team will now have a week to respond to the department’s proposed schedule, though it’s unlikely that the ex-president’s counsel will agree with the government’s timeline. At the arraignment last week, Trump attorney John Lauro suggested that he and his co-counsel could not begin to consider any possible trial date until they’d received the evidence which the government must turn over as part of the pre-trial discovery process. “We need all that information, I think, in order to address the issue of when we would be ready, and also the extent to which we would have an idea of how long the trial would be,” he said. Mr Trump’s legal team has already prevented the discovery process from kicking off by objecting to the government’s proposed protective order on the grounds that it would violate the ex-president’s right to free speech by barring him from publicly revealing evidence while on the campaign trail. The prosecutors noted the disconnect between the arguments made at arraignment and the Trump defence team’s refusal to agree to a protective order that would allow them to begin reviewing discovery, calling the contradiction “perplexing”. They also slammed Mr Lauro’s claim that the defence is “starting with a blank slate” as “impossible” and “disingenuous,” citing Mr Trump’s awareness of and response to much of the evidence which was previously made public during the House January 6 select committee’s hearings last year and the panel’s final report. Continuing, prosecutors also pointed out that one of Mr Trump’s lawyers, Evan Corcoran, has long represented the ex-president in matters relating to his efforts to overturn his election loss. “The defendant has a greater and more detailed understanding of the evidence supporting the charges against him at the outset of this criminal case than most defendants, and is ably advised by multiple attorneys, including some who have represented him in this matter for the last year,” they said. “The Government’s proposed schedule and January 2 trial date afford the defendant many months to review the discovery in this matter, raise pre-trial legal issues, and prepare his defense. No additional time is necessary or warranted under the Speedy Trial Act and in light of the public’s strong interest in a prompt trial”. Read More Trump and one co-defendant plead not guilty in superseding Mar-a-Lago indictment Trump and Biden tied in hypothetical 2024 rematch, poll finds Trump complains world has ‘never been nastier than it is now’ as cases against him proceed Trump says Georgia DA ‘may change her mind’ about indicting him as he launches fresh attack Prosecutors seek Jan. 2 trial date for Donald Trump in his 2020 election conspiracy case Georgia DA Fani Willis tells staff to ignore Trump’s ‘derogatory and false’ attacks Trump says world has ‘never been nastier than it is now’ as cases against him proceed
2023-08-11 02:54

Military officers begin to speak out on the harm done by Sen. Tuberville's holds on promotions
In the months since a single senator froze military promotions over the Pentagon’s abortion policy, the uniformed officers affected have been largely silent, wary of stepping into a political fray
2023-09-16 12:52

Florida gunman driven by racial 'hate' kills 3: authorities
A white man driven by racial hatred shot dead three Black people in a Florida discount store Saturday before taking his own life after a...
2023-08-27 10:26

Global inflation pressures could become harder to manage in coming years, research suggests
Rising trade barriers
2023-08-27 17:18

Brandi Glanville responds to 'mean comments' regarding her appearance: 'I've never had surgery on my face'
'I do plan on getting a lower face & neck lift like @TeddiMellencamp at some point soon,' wrote Brandi Glanville
2023-07-06 06:47
You Might Like...

Biden’s troubled journey on LGBT+ rights is a ‘beautiful thing’, top US diplomat says

Shelling kills civilians in Ukraine's northeast as fears grow of a second Russian takeover

Seán Quinn: Even my family doubted me over Lunny attack involvement

Red Sea corals threatened by mass sea urchin die-off, Israeli researchers say

College basketball national champions make their celebratory White House trips

Who is Aaliyah Cosby's new beau? 'Love is Blind' Season 5 star drops engagement hints after Netflix show

Madonna told to 'take a break' as celebrity fitness trainer urges singer to realize 'she's getting old'

Company pulls spicy One Chip Challenge from store shelves as Massachusetts investigates teen's death