
Revolving Door: DEA’s No.2 quits amid reports of previous consulting work for Big Pharma
The U.S. Drug Enforcement Administration’s second-in-command has quietly stepped down amid reporting by The Associated Press that he previously consulted for a pharmaceutical distributor sanctioned for a deluge of suspicious painkiller shipments and did similar work for the drugmaker that became the face of the opioid epidemic: Purdue Pharma
2023-07-19 20:47

Sophia Smith wows in her Women's World Cup debut after Olympic disappointment
Sophia Smith is among 14 players on the U.S. national team who are playing in their first Women’s World Cup
2023-07-22 21:57

Peter Navarro: ex-Trump adviser found guilty of contempt of Congress
Peter Navarro flouted a summons by a committee investigating efforts to reverse the 2020 election.
2023-09-08 04:48

Zelensky says Ukraine needs time before counter-offensive
Ukraine said it needs more time before beginning a highly anticipated counter-offensive against Russian forces, in an interview published by the BBC Thursday, as the UK pledged to send...
2023-05-12 03:27

Alix Earle confesses to being enigmatically 'gone' on an unforgettable tequila night: 'Jersey shore does it best'
'Jersey shore does it best,' she captioned the post
2023-06-18 17:25

Buddies behind bars: 'Happy face killer' Keith Jesperson brags about being pen pals with Gilgo Beach murders suspect Rex Heuermann
Keith Jesperson, currently serving multiple life sentences, imparted eyebrow-raising advice to Rex Heuermann
2023-11-24 19:15

'Teen Mom' star Jenelle Evans loses son Jace's custody as she and husband David Eason are accused of child neglect
'Teen Mom' star Jenelle Evans lost custody of her fourteen-year-old son Jace to her mother Barbara
2023-10-12 12:19

First-gen iPhone sells at auction for almost 380 times its original price
A first-generation iPhone sold at auction Sunday for $190,373, roughly 380 times its original price of $499 when it went for sale in 2007
2023-07-19 09:57

More than 3,000 tourists flee as fires tear through holiday spot in France
More than 3,000 tourists have been evacuated from a holiday hotspot in the south of France after a devastating wildfire ripped through homes and campsites overnight. Holidaymakers fled from four campsites close to the Spanish border as flames spread across 500 hectares of land. Around 650 firefighters battled the flames in the Pyrénées-Orientales region, which left 17 with minor injuries, the local prefecture announced. Sparked by “intense heat, dryness and tumultuous winds of up to 180km/h,” the fire broke out between Saint André and Argelès-sur-Mer. Michalak Guimbert, deputy mayor of Argeles-sur-Mer, said tourists had arrived in municipal halls “in swimsuits” because they were returning from the beach when the fire broke out. She said “flabbergasted children” were among those running from the flames. As the wildfires were brought under control by Tuesday morning, the extent of the devastation wrought by the flames was clear. Pictures show blackened and charred campsites, which were brimming with happy holidaymakers just hours before. As well as a campsite and warehouse, thirty houses have been damaged by the fire. “Our town is hard hit, and there is a lot of damage,” Saint-André’s mayor, Samuel Molly, told France Bleu. “The village is burned on both sides, a third has been hit by the fire.” Christelle, a resident who fled her home, told France Bleu Roussillon: “This fire is very impressive, it scares me. I hope I will find my whole house.” The fire is now under control, the French interior minister Gérald Darmanin said on Twitter. No residents or tourists were injured but Mr Darmanin asked that “the population and holidaymakers be extremely vigilant”. France’s minister of ecological transition, Christophe Béchu, visited Les Chênes Rouges campsite on Tuesday. He posted photos of charred trees, saying: “These striking images testify to the intensity of the fire. I am committed to supporting tourism stakeholders in the reconstruction and restoration of devastated natural areas.” “Drought and fire are two sides of the same coin: climate change,” Mr Bechu said. Most of the evacuees have been able to return to their accommodation or homes, but a few dozen tourists were still waiting to be rehoused, Mr Bechu told reporters in Saint-Andre. Some of those people lost their documents, money and cars in the blaze, he added. Wildfires have battered Europe this summer, with both locals and tourists being forced to flee from the deadly flames. Mr Bechu said that this summer has seen fewer fires in France than last year, when 70,000 hectares were burnt to cinders – but it was necessary to be "humble" as summer was not over. Five regions in the east of the country are currently on "high alert" for heatwaves, according to the French weather authority Meteo France website. Last week, firefighters evacuated more than 130 people as they fought to control a wildfire at Portbou on the Spanish border with France on the Mediterranean coast. The blaze ravaged around 435 hectares of land. Reuters contributed to this report Read More Maui fires live updates: Biden slammed over ‘no comment’ line as Hawaii death toll continues to climb France: Smoke clouds fill skies wildfire burns close to holiday hotspot Barack Obama’s message to people of Hawaii after deadly wildfires Brains of teenage smokers may be different than non-smokers, study suggests Rishi Sunak defends Bibby Stockholm plan after series of setbacks Australia has captured its continent as it faces England for a spot in the Women's World Cup final
2023-08-16 00:59

Capitol rioter who attacked Reuters cameraman and police officer gets more than 4 years in prison
An Illinois man who attacked a police officer and a Reuters cameraman during the U.S. Capitol riot has been sentenced to more than four years in prison
2023-10-05 01:53

FARC dissidents and Colombian government reach agreement to begin peace talks
Colombia's government has reached an agreement to begin peace talks with a faction of dissident Revolutionary Armed Forces
2023-07-09 22:45

Coco Gauff, 19, comes back to beat Russia's Mirra Andreeva, 16, at the French Open
Coco Gauff has won an all-teen showdown to reach the fourth round of the French Open
2023-06-04 04:46
You Might Like...

Apple’s Cook, BlackRock’s Fink Among CEOs Attending Xi Dinner

White House expands war on junk fees to rental housing, unveils new merger guidelines

Greece is planning a major regularization program for migrants to cope with labor crunch

Does secretive Cuba base host Chinese spy station? US thinks so

Francia Raisa and Selena Gomez: 4 facts about best friends' fallout

Foes of Myanmar's military regime applaud new US sanctions, but want action to block gas revenues

Yen Slumps to 2023 Low as Japan Intervention Debate Intensifies

Kai Cenat snaps at 'loser' moderators, abruptly ends stream after playing 'Fall Guys' for 10 hours