Putin ‘planning provocation’ at nuclear plant to disrupt Ukraine counteroffensive, Kyiv says
Russia is plotting a “large-scale provocation” at a nuclear power station it occupies in the south-east of Ukraine to disrupt an imminent counteroffensive, Kyiv’s military intelligence has claimed. A statement from the intelligence directorate of Ukraine’s defence ministry claimed Russian forces will strike the Zaporizhzhia nuclear power plant, the biggest in Europe. It will then report a radioactive leak in order to trigger an international probe that would pause the hostilities and give them the respite they need to regroup. In order to make that happen, Russia “disrupted the rotation of personnel of the permanent monitoring mission” of the UN’s International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA) that was scheduled for Saturday, the statement said. It did not offer evidence to back up any of the claims. The IAEA said it did not have any immediate comment on the allegations and Russian officials did not immediately comment on the Ukrainian claims. The White House said it is watching the situation closely and has seen no indication radioactive material has been leaked. It comes as Moscow’s military in Ukraine braces for a looming counteroffensive by Kyiv’s forces, which has not started yet but could begin “tomorrow, the day after tomorrow or in a week”, the secretary of Ukraine’s National Security and Defence Council, Oleksiy Danilov, told the BBC. He said the government in Kyiv had “no right to make a mistake” on the decision because this is a “historic opportunity” that “we cannot lose”. The Zaporizhzhia station is one of the 10 biggest nuclear plants in the world. It is in the partially occupied Zaporizhzhia region in south-eastern Ukraine. The plant’s six reactors have been shut down for months but it still needs power and qualified staff to operate crucial cooling systems and other safety features. Fighting near it repeatedly disrupted power supplies and has fuelled fears of a potential catastrophe like the one at Chernobyl, in northern Ukraine, where a reactor exploded in 1986 and spewed deadly radiation, contaminating a vast area. In other developments on Saturday, Russia reported more attacks on its territory, with drones crashing in its western regions and areas on the border with Ukraine coming under shelling. Two drones attacked an administrative building of an oil company in Russia’s western Pskov region that borders Belarus, Latvia and Estonia, Pskov governor Mikhail Vedernikov reported on Saturday. The building was damaged as the result of an explosion, Mr Vedernikov said. Another drone went down in the Tver region about 90 miles north of Moscow, local authorities said. Russia’s Belgorod region on the border with Ukraine came under multiple rounds of shelling on Saturday, killing one person, according to its governor Vyacheslav Gladkov. In the neighbouring Kursk region, which also borders Ukraine, one person was killed by cross-border mortar fire, its governor Roman Starovoit said. And a 60-year-old man was killed by Russian shelling in the city of Kupyansk in the Kharkiv region, about 20 miles from the Russian border, Ukraine’s national police said. Meanwhile, Russia’s ambassador to the UK Andrei Kelin warned his country was yet to “act very seriously” in the conflict. Mr Kelin told the BBC that Moscow had “enormous resources” and the country was “16 times bigger than Ukraine.” He said: “Sooner or later, of course, this escalation may get a new dimension which we do not need and we do not want. We can make peace tomorrow.” In addition, the British military said on Saturday that Russia’s private military force, Wagner, is withdrawing from areas around the eastern city of Bakhmut that Moscow claims to have captured earlier this month. Wagner chief Yevgeny Prigozhin earlier this week announced the pullout, saying Wagner would hand control over the ruined city over to the Russian military. Some were sceptical, however. Mr Prigozhin is known for making unverifiable, headline-grabbing statements on which he later backtracks. But Britain’s Ministry of Defence (MoD) said in a series of tweets on Saturday that Wagner fighters “have likely started to withdraw from some of their positions” around Bakhmut. “The Ukrainian deputy defence minister also corroborated the rotation out of Wagner forces in the outskirts of the town,” it added. Additional reporting by agencies Read More Ukraine-Russia war – latest: Putin ‘plans nuclear radioactive leak to postpone counteroffensive’ Ukraine claims Russia is plotting 'a provocation' at nuclear plant, offers no evidence Vladimir Putin’s Ukraine facade is crumbling – this week proves it The Body in the Woods | An Independent TV Original Documentary The harrowing discovery at centre of The Independent’s new documentary
2023-05-28 06:18
'Girl from Ipanema' singer Astrud Gilberto dead at 83
Astrud Gilberto, the Brazilian singer whose soft, beguiling voice made "The Girl from Ipanema" a worldwide sensation in the 1960s and provided a huge boost to the budding bossa nova genre, has...
2023-06-07 10:59
Mindanao: Three killed in explosion at Catholic Mass in Philippines
Nine people are also injured during a Catholic service at a university in Mindanao.
2023-12-03 10:16
Philippine Regulators Move to Block Access to Binance Platform
The Philippines’ Securities and Exchange Commission will block crypto trading platform Binance from being accessed in the country,
2023-11-30 12:58
'Nobody could help us' - Shock and anger in Israel's Ashkelon
Many people are shocked at how their powerful security forces were overwhelmed by Hamas.
2023-10-09 04:19
Australia indefinite detention unlawful, High Court rules
The landmark finding overturns a 20-year-old precedent and could affect Australia's border policies.
2023-11-08 15:45
Malaysia Seen to Go on Lengthy Key Rate Pause as Inflation Cools
Malaysia’s central bank is expected to keep borrowing costs steady even up to 2025 as price pressures diminish
2023-11-24 07:26
South African Inflation Breakevens Tumble as Rates Seen on Hold
Traders are betting that inflation will slow toward the midpoint of the range targeted by South Africa’s central
2023-11-21 20:54
Republican 2024 field gets crowded with Pence, Christie to announce bids
By Joseph Ax and Tim Reid The race for the 2024 Republican presidential nomination became increasingly crowded on
2023-06-01 04:46
Conservative Mike Johnson elected new House Speaker
Louisiana's Mike Johnson won with 220 votes in his favour in the lower chamber of Congress.
2023-10-26 02:15
US customs officers find nearly 900,000 fentanyl pills hidden in shipment of sinks, authorities say
US Customs and Border Protection officers in California say they stopped the attempted smuggling of fentanyl pills with an estimated street value of more than $2.5 million.
2023-07-02 12:27
Actor Jeremy Renner wants tax credits for film projects in northern Nevada but he may have to wait
Actor Jeremy Renner spent Monday pitching an amendment to Nevada lawmakers to include his home region in a tax deal to expand the film industry to Las Vegas
2023-05-23 09:45
You Might Like...
New museum in Alabama tells history of last known slave ship to US and its survivors
Zelensky says ‘only matter of time’ before Ukraine becomes Nato member
Schumer: Government funding resolution agreement with McCarthy is 'good sign'
9 people wounded in San Francisco mass shooting; 1 remains in critical condition
Phoenix empties 'The Zone' but solutions to contain growing homeless population are not coming fast enough
Rickie Fowler wins Rocket Mortgage Classic in playoff over Morikawa and Hadwin, ends 4-year drought
Oakland 2nd California diocese to seek bankruptcy over abuse
Elizabeth Holmes is going to prison. Will she ever pay victims too?
