J3N Provides the Latest and Most Up-to-Date News, You Can Stay Informed and Connected to the World.
⎯ 《 Just 3 N : New News Now 》
Maldivians vote in a runoff presidential election that will decide whether India or China holds sway
Maldivians vote in a runoff presidential election that will decide whether India or China holds sway
Maldivians are voting in the runoff presidential election that has turned into a virtual referendum on which regional power, India or China, will have the biggest influence in the Indian Ocean archipelago nation
2023-09-30 13:25
Germany and Italy agree on joint 'action plan' including energy, technology, climate protection
Germany and Italy agree on joint 'action plan' including energy, technology, climate protection
Germany and Italy have agreed to work closer together in the fields of energy, technology, climate protection, security and cultural cooperation among other issues
2023-11-23 02:25
Francis Suarez ends campaign for Republican presidential nomination
Francis Suarez ends campaign for Republican presidential nomination
Miami Mayor Francis Suarez announced Tuesday that he is ending his campaign for the 2024 Republican presidential nomination.
2023-08-30 01:17
US author Cormac McCarthy dies aged 89
US author Cormac McCarthy dies aged 89
The Pulitzer Prize-winning author of The Road has died aged 89, his publisher says.
2023-06-14 04:21
Sick of sewage, Britons protest at water companies' pollution
Sick of sewage, Britons protest at water companies' pollution
BRIGHTON, England Thousands of Britons took to the sea and rivers on Saturday to demand an end to
2023-05-21 00:22
Scientists capture the moment a black hole 'turns on'
Scientists capture the moment a black hole 'turns on'
Astronomers have spotted the moment a black hole "turned on". While looking for the collision of a neutron star with another object, which should result in a kilonova (an explosion which reddens then fades over time), they stumbled upon an event which remained extremely bright. They soon worked out this light was because of supermassive black hole called J221951-484240 which had been on for around 10 months. But then they had to work out what had caused it, and got stuck between two causes, “J221951 is consistent with being nuclear, so the scenarios we are being left are a tidal disruption event or an active galactic nucleus,” lead author Dr Samantha Oates said as she presented the research at the National Astronomy Meeting 2023. “Looking at the spectrum it's consistent with both categories.” Sign up to our free Indy100 weekly newsletter A tidal disruption event (TDE) takes place when a star or a gas cloud gets too close to a supermassive black hole. The material is ripped apart, and begins to shine as the black hole feeds Alternatively, it could be an active galactic nucleus (AGN), the phase of a supermassive black hole where it is consistently feeding in a frenzy. “We hope in future to distinguish between these two scenarios,” Dr Oates concluded. Have your say in our news democracy. Click the upvote icon at the top of the page to help raise this article through the indy100 rankings.
2023-07-06 20:16
Wales blow away Wallabies to reach World Cup last eight, Scots win
Wales blow away Wallabies to reach World Cup last eight, Scots win
Wales became the first team to qualify for the quarter-finals of the Rugby World Cup as they produced a record-breaking performance to hammer Austalia 40-6...
2023-09-25 06:54
Cameron Ortis: Canada intelligence official guilty on spy charges
Cameron Ortis: Canada intelligence official guilty on spy charges
Cameron Ortis, 51, a former RCMP civilian member, is convicted of leaking secrets to organised crime figures.
2023-11-23 07:58
Anger as security guard avoids charges despite video showing him shooting dead transgender activist
Anger as security guard avoids charges despite video showing him shooting dead transgender activist
The San Francisco district attorney has released the surveillance footage that showed the fatal shooting of a 24-year-old transgender activist accused of shoplifting by a Walgreens security guard. The video was released on Monday following a public outcry after it was announced that the district attorney won't file charges against the guard, identified as Michael Earl-Wayne Anthony. The footage shows the guard assaulting unarmed Banko Brown on 27 April before fatally shooting him outside a downtown Walgreens. Brown was a budding community organiser known for helping Black transgender youth and reportedly struggled with homelessness. Last week, the board of supervisors unanimously approved a resolution urging district attorney Brooke Jenkins's office to release more evidence. She cited self-defence in her decision not to charge the guard. The video, which does not have sound, shows Brown heading for the door with a bag in his hand when he is intercepted by the guard. He then pushes and repeatedly punches Brown in the head before pinning him to the ground. The scuffle continues when after a point, the guard lifts Brown into the air. When Mr Anthony lets Brown go, he picks up the bag and moves to exit the store. He turns around and appears to step toward Mr Anthony, at which point the guard lifts his gun and shoots once, sending Brown falling back onto the ground. Mr Anthony, who was initially arrested and later released, told the police that he asked Brown to put the items back, but Brown was aggressive and fought to keep them. He said he told Brown he would let him go if he calmed down, and that Brown kept saying he was going to stab him. However, a knife was not found on Brown. Mr Anthony argued that he let Brown go, but he drew his gun and kept it pointed at the ground just in case Brown attacked. He said he shot when Brown advanced. The case was discharged by the district attorney on 1 May. The guard in interviews also misgendered Brown, referring to him as “she” and “her”. San Francisco supervisor Shamann Walton said in a statement that the video does not show justification for the shooting. Mr Walton said he plans to join board president Aaron Peskin in calling on the state attorney general for an independent review of the prosecutor’s decision. But Ms Jenkins, who has been criticised for handling the case, said that even after seeking more evidence, there was nothing to rebut the guard’s claim of self-defense. She pleaded with viewers to review all the evidence, including witness and police reports, given that the video footage lacks sound. "There will be a temptation, as human beings, to only view the video footage of this incident and nothing else," Ms Jenkins said. "We are accustomed to seeing videos online, and that often is what captures our attention rather than going the extra step to look deeper." Community members on Monday afternoon gathered outside Walgreens to protest against Ms Jenkins's decision to not file charges. Activists, politicians and others who reviewed the released footage of Brown’s death alleged that the video proves the security guard did not act in self-defence as suggested by the district attorney. Demonstrators with banners that read ”Justice for Banko Brown” demanded that Ms Jenkins press charges against the guard. "I was sad, but now I'm mad. I'm so mad. He was on the way to the centre the day he died," Tumani Drew, a friend of Brown's, told The San Francisco Standard. "All we know is that Banko was leaving the store. Anthony had no right to take his life." Brown worked as a community organiser for the Young Women’s Freedom Center – a nonprofit that provides support for young women and trans youths. "We do not need to see the video to know that Banko Brown’s killing was unjustified. Armed force is not a justified response to poverty,” said Julia Arroyo, the centre’s co-executive director. "We must live with the sobering reality that he was killed for no other cause but $14." Read More Transgender woman jailed for rape sent to male prison Payback? Project funds axed after Kansas lawmaker defies governor on abortion, trans rights Wave of anti-transgender bills in Republican-led states divides US faith leaders
2023-05-16 12:45
Soccer-Manchester City beat Inter Milan to win Champions League
Soccer-Manchester City beat Inter Milan to win Champions League
By Martyn Herman ISTANBUL Manchester City ended a sensational season by beating Inter Milan 1-0 to win the
2023-06-11 05:26
Donald Trump's aides set to enter pleas in US classified documents case
Donald Trump's aides set to enter pleas in US classified documents case
By Jack Queen FORT PIERCE, Florida Two aides to Donald Trump are set to enter pleas in federal
2023-08-10 18:18
Who is Alix Dorsainvil? New Hampshire nurse and her daughter kidnapped in Haiti's capital while working for non-profit
Who is Alix Dorsainvil? New Hampshire nurse and her daughter kidnapped in Haiti's capital while working for non-profit
Alix Dorsainvil works at the non-profit organizaiton, El Roi Haiti, and is married to its director Sandro Dorsainvil
2023-07-30 15:20