Ukraine-Russia war – latest: Kyiv accuses Putin of blowing up second dam
Ukraine has accused Russia of blowing up a dam on the Mokri Yaly river to make it harder for Kyiv’s forces to push farther south as part of its ongoing counteroffensive. It comes less than a week after the huge Kakhovka dam was destroyed on the much larger Dnipro River, in the Kherson region, causing a humanitarian catastrophe. In other developments, Kyiv said its troops had recaptured a fourth village from Russian forces in a cluster of settlements in the southeast, a day after reporting the first small gains of its long-anticipated counteroffensive. Ukraine’s deputy defence minister Hanna Maliar posted a photo showing soldiers hoisting the Ukrainian flag at what she said was the village of Storozheve in Donetsk, and thanked the 35th Separate Brigade of Marines for liberating it. Reuters confirmed the location of the footage. Kyiv also said on Sunday that its forces had liberated three villages - Blahodatne, Neskuchne and Makarivka. Russia’s defence ministry said on Monday it had repelled attempted offensives by Ukrainian forces in the Donetsk and Zaporizhzhia regions and had hit targets with sea-launched high-precision missile strikes. Read More How significant is the reported recapture of the first Ukrainian villages from Russia? Eat Pray Love author Elizabeth Gilbert pulls new book from publication after backlash to Siberian setting Putin uses public holiday to laud patriotic feelings as support for troops in Ukraine
2023-06-13 11:56
'You look like the dolls from Squid Games': Internet mocks '1000-lb Sisters' star Amy Slaton as she joins 'Barbie' trend
'1000-lb Sisters' star Amy Slaton tries 'Barbie' filter
2023-06-27 09:24
Moody's says economic loss from Hawaii wildfire could be as high as $6 billion (Aug 22)
(This Aug. 22 story has been corrected to say that the estimate was from Moody's catastrophe risk modeling business, not
2023-08-23 22:50
Who is Forsen? Twitch streamer surpasses xQc's 'Minecraft' speedrunning record, Internet dubs Juicer 'unlucky'
Forsen and xQc have been engaged in a friendly competition for the past three years, striving to outdo each other's speedruns
2023-10-13 16:54
'The View' host Whoopi Goldberg applauded by fans as she slams Ron DeSantis over controversial Florida curriculum: 'Go get him'
Whoopi Goldberg announced the topic light-heartedly and was the first one to speak up before opening the show up for discussions
2023-08-02 12:53
Women’s Aid welcomes Manchester United’s Mason Greenwood decision
The charity Women’s Aid has welcomed the news Manchester United forward Mason Greenwood will no longer play for the club. United announced on Monday that an agreement had been reached for the 21-year-old England international to continue his career away from Old Trafford. Greenwood has been suspended by the Premier League club since January 2022 over allegations relating to a young woman after images and videos were posted online. He was facing charges including attempted rape and assault until the Crown Prosecution Service announced in February this year the case had been discontinued, which led to United conducting their own investigation. A spokeswoman for Women’s Aid, which works to end domestic abuse against women and children, said: “We know that today’s news from Manchester United that Greenwood will be moving on from the club will be a relief for many survivors of domestic and sexual abuse. “Football is loved by so many people worldwide, and players are often idolised by fans, so the way that alleged domestic abuse cases are treated in clubs has a huge impact on public understanding about what is accepted and tolerated in society. “We have heard first-hand the impact this case and the related materials shared on social media have had on survivors of abuse, and while next steps are established following the outcome of Manchester United’s internal investigation, this will happen away from centre stage of Old Trafford. “With many survivors never contacting the police to report abuse in the first place, and the majority of domestic and sexual abuse cases not resulting in a criminal conviction, it is vital that clubs – like all employers – have an approach that is wider than the criminal justice system, and which deals with the reality of the scale of the issue. “This needs to involve addressing the attitudes that underpin domestic and sexual abuse, and working with players from a young age to make it clear that clubs stand against sexism and misogyny. This is an issue that reaches far wider than football, with misogynistic content widely available on social media, so it is important to recognise how widespread harmful attitudes are and address this.” The Manchester United Supporters Trust criticised the club’s handling of the case but said the right decision had been made. A MUST statement read: “Since the deeply distressing initial allegations surfaced, this episode has been allowed to drag out for far too long as the club has carried out an investigative process. “Moreover, the complete lack of consultation with fans even with respect to process added fuel to the fire. Whilst the speculation and discussion in the last couple of weeks has been profoundly unhelpful and reflected very poorly on the club, it is clear that they have in the end reached the right decision. “We are relieved that this matter can now be put behind us and will be working with the club to ensure lessons have been learned from this very troubling episode.” Read More Charity boss speaks out over ‘traumatic’ encounter with royal aide Ukraine war’s heaviest fight rages in east - follow live Statistics show Spain were worthy World Cup winners Spain captain Olga Carmona dedicates World Cup triumph to late father Who will win the frantic battle for the final two Super League play-off slots?
2023-08-21 23:54
'It's a PR stunt and not working': Source claims Kylie Jenner's and Timothee Chalamet hook-up is 'not serious'
Kylie Jenner and Timothee Chalamet are still having a good time together without any restrictions it seems
2023-05-30 11:56
Alabama senator says Space Command prefers Huntsville for HQ, but command has no comment
Alabama Republican Sen. Tommy Tuberville says the top general in charge of U.S. Space Command told him during a meeting Wednesday that Huntsville, not Colorado Springs, Colorado, is the preferred location for its new headquarters
2023-06-08 10:22
Yankees pitcher Cordero is suspended for the rest of the season under MLB's domestic violence policy
New York Yankees pitcher Jimmy Cordero has been suspended for the rest of the season by baseball Commissioner Rob Manfred for violating the sport’s domestic violence policy
2023-07-06 07:17
Lilly drug slows Alzheimer's by 60% for mildly impaired patients in trial
By Deena Beasley (Reuters) -Eli Lilly's experimental drug donanemab slowed the progression of Alzheimer's by 60% for patients in the
2023-07-17 22:15
Bill Gates says Elon Musk was 'super mean' to him after failing to take him 'seriously'
They’re two of the richest men in the world, and Bill Gates and Elon Musk haven’t exactly seen eye to eye over the years. In fact, they’ve both played their part in a bizarre feud over recent times. Musk previously hit out at Gates in a strange slam slam last, comparing him to the pregnant man emoji, while Gates was also criticised by Musk after it was revealed that he was shorting Tesla’s stock. Now, Gates has claimed that Musk was “super mean” to him after finding out about his stock market move. It’s related to the release of Walter Isaacson’s new biography of Musk. Speaking about the pair’s disagreement to Isaacson, Gates said: "Once he heard I'd shorted the stock, he was super mean to me, but he's super mean to so many people, so you can't take it too personally.” Gates also claimed that he apologised for shorting Tesla stock, but things didn’t improve between the pair. It’s not the only revelation to come from the biography. According to Grimes, his on-off girlfriend, the tech mogul stayed up all night playing video games after putting the offer in for the app now known as X. Since purchasing Twitter last year, Musk has brought in a number of changes including making users pay for their verifying blue ticks and changing the name and logo to X. Meanwhile, Musk has also recently baffled fans of the popular game Warhammer 40,000 by seemingly borrowing from the title as the inspiration for his newest child's name: Techno Mechanicus. Sign up for our free Indy100 weekly newsletter Have your say in our news democracy. Click the upvote icon at the top of the page to help raise this article through the indy100 rankings
2023-09-13 16:26
OPEC+ Says Delayed Meeting Will Be Held Online
The OPEC+ meeting that was pushed back by several days to Nov. 30 will now be held online,
2023-11-23 22:54
You Might Like...
Watch: People wade through flooded streets as Storm Babet brings torrential rain to Ireland
Two believed trapped after Davenport, Iowa building collapse
Trump co-defendant Rudy Giuliani pleads not guilty in Georgia case
Adidas says it may write off remaining unsold Yeezy shoes after breakup with Ye
FTC to Sue to Block Amgen’s Takeover of Horizon Therapeutics
Northwestern sued again over troubled athletics program. This time it's the baseball program
How long did Lili Reinhart and Cole Sprouse date? 'Riverdale' star received 'death threats' after split from co-star
Lions linebacker Alex Anzalone's parents safely arrive home from Israel
