
When will PewDiePie become a father? YouTuber 'frustrated' with Japan’s health restrictions: 'Doesn’t make sense'
PewDiePie claims Japan's strict health regulations wouldn't let him spend more than two hours a day with his baby in the hospital
2023-06-16 13:59

Airstrike in Sudanese city kills at least 22, officials say, amid fighting between rival generals
Sudan’s Ministry of Health says an airstrike in the city of Omdurman has killed at least 22 people
2023-07-09 00:28

A Lyft driver who fled the Taliban in Afghanistan was fatally shot in Washington, DC, police and charity say
A former Afghan interpreter who immigrated with his family to America in 2021 was shot and killed early Monday in Washington, DC, while on an extra shift as a Lyft driver, and police now are searching for suspects, authorities and a charity said.
2023-07-07 18:16

Philippine president to deliver state-of-the-nation speech amid protests
Philippine President Ferdinand Marcos Jr. was to deliver a state-of-the-nation speech Monday after his first year in office, which saw him allow an expanded U.S. military presence and refuse to rejoin the International Criminal Court in a move aligned with his predecessor, whose bloody anti-drugs crackdown was under an ICC investigation. More than 20,000 police, backed by other security forces and army troops, were deployed to keep order amid protests and secure the House of Representatives, where Marcos will deliver his speech before a joint session of Congress. Marcos, 65, rose to power in June last year in a landslide victory that was among the most dramatic political comebacks in recent history. His father was ousted as a dictator accused of widespread human rights violations and plunder in a 1986 pro-democracy uprising that became a harbinger of change at the time in authoritarian regimes worldwide. The president has refused to apologize and has steadfastly defended his father’s legacy. Marcos told reporters last week that his speech would be “a performance report for Filipinos to see if the flurry of pronouncements, the many words, had an impact or were just mere words." "That's what I want to explain to people — that we have made significant progress. We can see the difference now not only in terms of how the systems work, how the government works. It is also in how we are now seen or judged in the international community,” Marcos said. He was expected to press his campaign call for national unity, although deep divisions remain. About 6,000 left-wing, labor and human rights groups staged protests ahead of his speech in Congress with diverse demands, including for wage increases, to address attacks against political activists and journalists, and to recall a government program to phase out traditional but aging passenger jeepneys. A group of drivers began a three-day strike on Monday to protest the jeepney phaseout, but no major transport paralysis was reported by midday, police said. Marcos approved the suspension of school classes and government work in metropolitan Manila on Monday due to the planned transport strike and an approaching typhoon. Despite a police restriction on the burning of effigies, left-wing activists burned a mock giant coin that depicted a smiling Marcos flashing the peace sign with his fingers on one side and as a thief holding a gun and bag of cash in the other. Pro-Marcos groups separately held a musical concert and displayed congratulatory streamers. Since assuming the presidency, Marcos has embarked on more than a dozen foreign trips, including to the United States and China, to seek investments and boost trade. He was scheduled to leave for Malaysia on Tuesday for a three-day visit. The government said the foreign trips are crucial to drum up economic reforms and initiatives, including a bill that Marcos signed into law last week creating the country’s first sovereign wealth fund, which aims to pool money for infrastructure and other projects. But opponents said the trips, including one that brought him to Singapore to watch Formula One races in October, reflected the president’s misplaced priorities given problems at home, including soaring food prices early in his presidency. Marcos made himself agriculture chief to directly deal with what he said last year was a looming food crisis caused in part by the war in Ukraine. He has held the post until now despite calls for him to appoint another official so he can focus on other concerns. In February, Marcos approved an expansion of the U.S. military presence in the Philippines to add four new bases from five existing sites under the 2014 Enhanced Defense Cooperation Agreement between the longtime treaty allies. The move, which Marcos said would help boost the Philippines’ coastal defense, dovetails with the Biden administration’s efforts to strengthen an arc of military alliances in the Indo-Pacific to better counter China. China warned the move “will drag the Philippines into the abyss of geopolitical strife and damage its economic development at the end of the day.” But Philippine officials said the move was not aimed at China. Marcos's moves to reaffirm ties with Washington was a key turnaround from the often-hostile approach his predecessor, Rodrigo Duterte, took toward Manila’s treaty ally. In a decision that clearly favored Duterte but came under attack from human rights activists and Marcos' opposition, he refused to take steps to bring the Philippines back to the ICC and said his administration would not cooperate with its investigation into thousands of killings under Duterte’s campaign against illegal drugs. Duterte withdrew the Philippines from The Hague-based court in 2019 in a move rights activists said was an attempt to evade accountability and prevent an international probe into the killings in his anti-drugs crackdown. The ICC, however, has jurisdiction over alleged crimes committed when the Philippines was still a member state of the court. Read More Ukraine war’s heaviest fight rages in east - follow live Charity boss speaks out over ‘traumatic’ encounter with royal aide Gunman who killed co-workers at New Zealand building site died from self-inflicted wound, police say Moscow, Crimea hit by drones as Russian forces bombard Ukraine's south Macron promotes French interests on a trip to South Pacific where US-China rivalry is intensifying
2023-07-24 16:29

Elon Musk's social media site X sues California over content moderation law
Elon Musk's social media platform formerly known as Twitter has sued the state of California over a law requiring social media companies to publish their policies for removing offending material such as hate speech, misinformation and harassment with details on how and when they remove that content
2023-09-09 05:54

Trump lawyers visit U.S. Justice Department amid documents probe
By Sarah N. Lynch WASHINGTON Three lawyers for former President Donald Trump left the U.S. Department of Justice
2023-06-06 00:49

Oprah Winfrey could enter politics by replacing Dianne Feinstein, report claims
Oprah Winfrey is reportedly being considered to replace Dianne Feinstein should the 89-year-old California senator choose to retire. A list of names, that includes the talk show host, is being considered, according to the Associated Press. This comes as Ms Feinstein’s office confirmed last week that the longest-serving Democrat in the current US Senate is suffering health complications from a recent case of shingles. A spokesperson told CNN that Ms Feinstein experienced Ramsay Hunt syndrome and encephalitis as part of the diagnosis. “While the encephalitis resolved itself shortly after she was released from the hospital in March, she continues to have complications from Ramsay Hunt syndrome,” the spokesperson said on Thursday. Ms Feinstein returned to the Senate earlier this month after her bout of shingles to cast her vote. Following her return, she spoke to reporters and denied she was ever absent. She has faced calls to resign due to questions around her cognitive abilities. Governor Gavin Newsom has the authority to name a successor to fill Ms Feinstein’s seat if a vacancy arises. He could even pick himself, though that is unlikely. State rules dictate when an election would have to be held. According to the AP report, the governor could also select a caretaker. Voters would then decide in next year’s election on someone who would hold the seat but is not a Senate candidate. The report said that is where names like Winfrey’s come up. Winfrey, a famous celebrity and media proprietor, happens to meet Mr Newsom’s pledge to appoint a Black woman to the seat. However, the governor might find it challenging to land on someone willing to take a short-term appointment. Mr Newsom recently said in an interview that he was swamped with recommendations for how to fill the possible Senate vacancy. He called Ms Feinstein a mentor and one of his closest friends, and said he hoped he never had to make the decision to fill her seat. “I get it. For those who say, ‘Enough of Newsom making these picks!’ I get it. I’m with you. I understand,” he was quoted as saying to Fox 11 TV in Los Angeles. Winfrey is one of the world’s most famous media personalities, and has a multi-billion-dollar net worth. Her talk show – The Oprah Winfrey Show – which ran for 25 years until 2011, was one of the biggest daytime talk shows of all time. While she said she will never run for president in the wake of Donald Trump’s victory in 2016, she admitted she had considered it briefly. Read More Diane Feinstein denies she was ever absent from US Senate after months spent recovering from shingles California governor faces tough question of who would replace Dianne Feinstein if she steps down The danger of America’s ageing politicians Louis Vuitton takes Baroque and botanical cues from Italy's Isola Bella for Cruise 2024 collection Tina Turner, unstoppable superstar whose hits included 'What's Love Got to Do With It,' dead at 83 California governor faces tough question of who would replace Dianne Feinstein
2023-05-25 17:51

Ludwig calls Cody Ko 'stupid f**ker', explains why he 'hates' pro YouTuber: 'Cringe'
YouTuber Ludwig alleged Cody Ko stole his content, saying that the rapper made a video with his college friend
2023-06-17 13:21

How tall is Cardi B? Rapper was once called a 'skinny legend' due to her petite stature
Cardi B revealed her body measurements in a cryptic tweet in 2019
2023-09-13 16:27

Cnooc First-Half Profit Slides as Weaker Oil Prices Hit Driller
Cnooc Ltd. said its first-half profit declined as oil prices slumped over concerns about global growth, including China’s
2023-08-17 18:59

Hikers snap latest photo of ‘naked wolf man’ in German forest
A mysterious naked “wolf man” holding a wooden spear has been photographed by hikers in the Harz mountains of central Germany. The photos show the man covered in dirt and hair as he plays with sand on the floor. The hikers, Gina Weiss, 31, and her friend Tobi, 38, were walking in the woods near Blankenburg in the state of Saxony-Anhalt on Tuesday evening when they spotted him. “When we reached the sand caves we saw the wolf man. He stood up high on one of the caves and held a long wooden stick like a lance in his arm,” Ms Weiss told Bild newspaper. The wolf man and the hikers locked eyes but no words passed between them in those ten minutes, the hikers said. “He wouldn’t take his eyes of us, said nothing. He looked dirty like a Stone Age man from a history book.” Reports of a wolf man are not uncommon in Blankenburg. Authorities said they have been receiving intel about such a figure roaming the forests for the past five years. Fire sites and branch shelters have even been found in the area, as Alexander Beck, the head of Blankenburg fire brigade, said: “Someone clearly knows how to live outside and adapt to the changing seasons.” Members of the fire brigade have also reported seeing a forest dweller wearing fur but said that he ran off, according to MDR, the regional public broadcaster. In March this year, hikers said they saw a “wolf man” running around the forest and also reported seeing a fire-bolt. Emergency services searched the area but only found old fire sites. A volunteer with the local fire service told The Telegraph that they had not noticed anything unusual in the forest. They described the story as “nonsense” and suggested the photos of the wolf man were “a prank”. Nonetheless, Germany’s dense forests and shrubbery have always inspired folklore, with the ninetheenth-century Brothers Grimm among the most notable fairytale collections to be rooted in the dark woods. Read More In-N-Out owner reveals where ‘animal style’ name comes from More hearings begin soon for Summit's proposed CO2 pipeline. Where does the project stand? Here’s the best time to plant fruits and vegetables
2023-08-25 16:45

At least five Secret Service agents have testified before Jan 6 grand jury, report says
About five or six Secret Service agents have testified before the grand jury deciding if former President Donald Trump should be indicted for his actions in connection to the insurrection on January 6, 2021, sources have told NBC News. The grand jury is looking into the riot as well as the attempts to interfere with the peaceful transfer of power. The Secret Service agents who appeared were complying with subpoenas. It remains unclear how close the agents were to Mr Trump on January 6 as well as what information they provided to the grand jury. The investigation led by Special Counsel Jack Smith is separate from the investigation he also leads into Mr Trump’s alleged mishandling of national security information which led to the former president’s indictment and Miami arraignment. More follows...
2023-06-27 01:16
You Might Like...

Ludwig’s Mogul Moves and Chess.com conduct Pogchamps 5 Tournament, big names to take part

Adin Ross, KSI and Tommy Fury go shirtless on livestream, baffled fans ask 'Tf going on over there'

Russia is covering aircraft with car tires, potentially to protect them from Ukrainian drones

Los Angeles Chargers’ fans react to promo featuring Kai Cenat and Offset: ‘Bolt upp’

US, Chinese trade officials express concern about each other's restrictions

Turkey's president unwavering on two-state policy to resolve Cyprus' ethnic division

Up to 25 people trapped under a collapsed temple in northern India as heavy rains kill at least 41 people

Voters think Trump is a criminal, Biden is too old and DeSantis is a fascist, new poll finds