J3N Provides the Latest and Most Up-to-Date News, You Can Stay Informed and Connected to the World.
⎯ 《 Just 3 N : New News Now 》
Why a single senator is blocking US military promotions and what it means for the Pentagon
Why a single senator is blocking US military promotions and what it means for the Pentagon
Alabama Sen. Tommy Tuberville is waging an unprecedented campaign to try to change Pentagon abortion policy by holding up hundreds of military nominations and promotions
2023-07-15 12:59
Natalie Portman's warns cheating husband Benjamin Millepied: 'If he messes up again, she'll likely pull the plug'
Natalie Portman's warns cheating husband Benjamin Millepied: 'If he messes up again, she'll likely pull the plug'
Natalie Portman has demanded full access to Benjamin Millepied's passwords and accounts and that he has to accompany her on every outing
2023-07-09 01:15
Booming migrant charter flights to Nicaragua prompt US crackdown
Booming migrant charter flights to Nicaragua prompt US crackdown
Cuban and Haitian migrants are increasingly taking chartered flights to Nicaragua from where they seek to travel overland to the United States, prompting Washington to impose sanctions this week...
2023-11-25 09:58
'There is only one flag': Rashida Tlaib slammed after pic shows her posing in front of Palestinian flag in her office
'There is only one flag': Rashida Tlaib slammed after pic shows her posing in front of Palestinian flag in her office
The image had been shared in response to Israel's National Security Minister Itamar Ben Gvir's effort to ban the Palestinian national symbol in Israel
2023-10-09 15:56
UK appeals court rules that plan to send asylum seekers to Rwanda is unlawful
UK appeals court rules that plan to send asylum seekers to Rwanda is unlawful
A British court has ruled that a government plan to send asylum-seekers to Rwanda in an attempt to deter migrants from making risky journeys across the English Channel is unlawful
2023-06-29 21:49
‘It was hell on earth’: British tourists describe fleeing for their lives from Rhodes wildfire
‘It was hell on earth’: British tourists describe fleeing for their lives from Rhodes wildfire
A mother who says she experienced “hell on earth” was among the British tourists forced to flee Rhodes this weekend as fierce wildfires continue to rip through the Greek holiday island. Officials on the island, which sits southwest of Turkey in the Aegean Sea, launched Greece’s biggest-ever evacuation operation as the blaze tore through vast swathes of land, threatening resorts popular with holidaymakers. Tourists were forced to shelter in schools, sports stadiums, airports and alternative hotels as firefighters desperately fought to contain the flames, which officials fear may worsen on Monday as wind speeds more than double on the island. As Britons rushed to book seats on packed flights home after the evacuations, holiday firms including Jet2, the UK’s biggest tour operator, announced they would be cancelling services to Rhodes and would be sending empty planes to bring stranded tourists home. Around 19,000 people in total are reported to have been evacuated from Rhodes, the largest of Greece’s Dodecanese islands, which has a local population of about 115,000. Becky Mulligan, a 29-year-old training manager from Leicester, was staying at the Princess Sun Hotel in the Kiotari resort on Rhodes’s southeast coast when she, her five-year-old daughter, and sister, 20, were forced to quickly pack their bags and flee as the sky turned “orange”. “Smoke started coming up against the window of the hotel so we decided to run,” she told The Independent. “There were helicopters hovering above making the whole building shake. “We ended up legging it down a dirt track as the smoke came up around our legs. I thought I was going to die. It was like hell on earth.” Ms Mulligan and her family were forced to seek refuge on the beach as they waited for coaches to come and pick them up, which she described as the “most scary point”. She said hundreds of people were waiting to be evacuated with grown adults “basically trampling on children to get to the buses”. The trio was then taken to Gennadi Grande resort and from there bussed to another location, where they were forced to spend the Saturday night on the floor of a hotel room. On Sunday morning they managed to escape safely, sharing a taxi with another family to the airport where their flight back to the UK was due to depart after 11pm. Dan Jones, a sports teacher from Torquay, Devon, said he had to climb onto a fishing trawler with his sons on Saturday night, describing it as “the scariest moment in my entire life”, adding: “What brave boys.” Ian Wakefield told Times Radio he spent the night in a school playground in Faliraki after being evacuated from his hotel in Pefki. He said: “It didn’t really feel real – being in imminent danger of being burned to death. Between midnight and around 5am this morning we were going through an evacuation which was pretty chaotic. “There were a lot of upset people and children who were understandably quite hysterical. It was all very confusing – the instructions from the hotel manager were unclear. “You had to make your own choice in the end. I’ve had to leave quite a lot of luggage in the hotel.” As fire crews struggled to contain the blazes and thick black smoke continued billowing into the sky, British holiday firms began cancelling flights to Rhodes, although some planes touched down on the island on Saturday night and early on Sunday morning despite the emergency. Jet2 Holidays cancelled all flights to the island until 30 July and said it would send empty planes to bring stranded Britons home, while Tui said it would cancel all flights and holidays until Tuesday. Thomas Cook later announced it had cancelled all holidays to Kiotari and Lardos – the areas of the island most at risk – until 31 July and would be in touch with customers to arrange “swift refunds”. It has also offered full refunds to customers due to depart for other parts of the island on Sunday and Monday who wish to cancel their trip. But some holidaymakers suggested that operators should have cancelled flights to the island sooner. Lowri Jones from Crymych, Pembrokeshire, Wales, described scenes of “chaos” at Rhodes Airport when she arrived there on Saturday night. The mother of three, 52, travelled to the Greek island with her thirteen year-old-daughter for a holiday. “It was absolute pandemonium at the airport, with long queues of people trying to find out what coach they were,” she told The Independent. “We booked with Tui and there has been very little communication from them. “We had been due to stay at the Atlantica Dreams hotel in Gennadi but were driven - without warning - to a completely different resort in the north of the island due to the wildfires.” She added: “Me and my daughter ended up spending the night on the floor with other people in a room with no air conditioning in sweltering heat - it was horrible. “To be honest, I don’t think we should have even been there in the first place. The flight was delayed because the pilot had to do a risk assessment to see if it was safe to land because of the fires. “Tui should have told us it wasn’t safe and given us a refund - at least that way I could have made a decision about booking somewhere else. Now I’m stranded in Rhodes and having to look at booking flights home.” A spokesperson for Tui said it is continuing to monitor the wildfires and appreciated the “distressing and difficult” situation for its customers. Anyone who remains in Rhodes is urged “follow the advice of the local authorities who are managing tourist movements in impacted areas,” they said. Britain’s ambassador to Greece said the Foreign Office had sent a "rapid deployment team" to help UK tourists who were among thousands forced to flee for their lives on Saturday as the wildfire spread. Read More Holidays and flights to Greek island ravaged by fire cancelled UK airlines still selling tickets to Rhodes despite wildfire inferno Greece: Smoke turns Rhodes sky grey and hazy as wildfires continue to rage CLIMATE GLIMPSE: Here's what you need to see and know today Jet2 and Tui scrap Rhodes flights as tourists fleeing island describe ‘hell on earth’ Decision not to refund Rhodes tourists would be ‘unconscionable’, charity says
2023-07-24 00:21
Explainer-What to know about Maui's wildfires, Hawaii's deadliest disaster
Explainer-What to know about Maui's wildfires, Hawaii's deadliest disaster
By Jonathan Oatis (Reuters) -Wildfires on Hawaii's Maui have killed at least 99 people, forced tens of thousands of residents
2023-08-16 05:28
How DeSantis plans to jolt the GOP presidential primary and seize back the narrative
How DeSantis plans to jolt the GOP presidential primary and seize back the narrative
In the early days of his governorship, Ron DeSantis, still largely unknown to even the people who elected him, barnstormed across Florida's 65,000 square miles, popping up almost daily in a different community to announce new initiatives or unexpected actions. News outlets, opposition Democrats and fellow Republicans unaccustomed to such energy from the executive were caught by surprise.
2023-05-24 00:29
Global Finance Chiefs to Plot Escape Routes for World Economy
Global Finance Chiefs to Plot Escape Routes for World Economy
A summer laced with economic strains looms for the world’s richest economies. In the US, President Joe Biden
2023-05-11 14:46
China censors prominent journalist who raised concerns about economy
China censors prominent journalist who raised concerns about economy
A prominent Chinese financial journalist who has compared the country's economic problems to the Great Depression has been...
2023-06-27 15:52
Detroit police chief says 'poor investigative work' led to arrest of Black mom who claims facial recognition technology played a role
Detroit police chief says 'poor investigative work' led to arrest of Black mom who claims facial recognition technology played a role
Detroit's police chief on Wednesday blamed "poor investigative work," not the use of facial recognition technology, for the arrest of a Black mother who claims in a lawsuit that she was falsely arrested earlier this year while eight months pregnant.
2023-08-10 12:27
Cuba Gooding Jr faces two fresh civil lawsuits renewing allegations of sexual assault by his victims
Cuba Gooding Jr faces two fresh civil lawsuits renewing allegations of sexual assault by his victims
Jasmine Abbay and Kelsey Harbert's allegations in an earlier criminal prosecution had ended with Gooding Jr pleading guilty, with no jail time
2023-11-23 16:15